- "You will not harm my cousin!"
- ―Niko Bellic taunting the kidnappers
Roman's kidnapping is depicted in The Lost and Damned mission Roman's Holiday, when he was kidnapped by Johnny Klebitz and Malc on the orders of Dimitri Rascalov. Roman briefly mentions this, when he texts Niko explaining how "a biker kidnapped him".
Niko receives a phone call from Mallorie Bardas, who informs him that she thinks Roman has been kidnapped and is being held hostage at an abandoned factory in Bohan Industrial. Niko drives to the factory where Roman is being held.
Niko enters the factory and fights his way through four floors of the factory, killing many members of the Russian Mafia. Niko reaches the top floor and finds Roman being held in a chokehold by his captor, who is holding a gun to Roman's head. Niko calmly aims at the captor and executes him, freeing Roman.
Roman thanks Niko for saving him, and the cousins quickly leave the warehouse. Niko steals a parked Bobcat and drives Roman back to their apartment in South Bohan. When they arrive at the apartment, Roman admits the extent of his gambling addiction. Niko also explains that the duo need to leave Bohan as quickly as possible before Dimitri comes looking for them.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the warehouse where Roman is being held
- Roman is on the top floor. Rescue him
- Use Free Aim to take out the kidnapper and free Roman
- Follow Roman
- Take Roman back to the Bohan safehouse
- The staircase Niko and Roman use to exit the warehouse can actually be used to speed up the mission. Instead of going to the yellow marker, head up the staircase, where the player will hear the dialogue between Roman and the captor, since the player is already on the same floor. Most of the guards on the lower floors will leave their cover and head up the stairs, leaving them open to gunfire.
- If Niko has Dwayne Forge's special ability, Niko can call him and he will send two of his guys round to help, which makes for a terrific advantage. However, they will leave when Niko executes Roman's kidnapper.
After the mission
- After a few in-game hours have passed, Roman calls Niko to inform him that he has made enough money to purchase a new penthouse in Middle Park East, Algonquin, which the player can now save their game at. Roman also explains that he has managed to purchase a new fleet of taxis for his Cab Service, replacing the old Esperantos with new Cavalcades.
- This mission is similar to the GTA Vice City mission Death Row, as both missions involve rescuing one of the player's close allies from a deserted area before their ally is killed, neither has a monetary reward, both eventually unlock a large and superior safehouse, and both involve killing a large amount of gang members whom the player used to be on good terms with.
- If the player calls Dimitri after receiving the picture message of Roman held hostage, Niko will describe how he will cut Dimitri's face off and hang it on his wall to remind himself of what a "lying, cheating, treacherous scumbag" looks like, ending the call with "Goodbye, friend", referring to Dimitri's previous text messages always ending with "your friend, Dimitri."
- Niko has unique taunts related to Roman's kidnapping when he is fighting the mobsters during this mission, such as: "Take my cousin, will you!?", "I'm leaving here with Roman!", "No one fucks with my family" and "You will not harm my cousin".
- If the player tries to land on the roof of the warehouse using a helicopter, two guards standing on the roof will shoot at the player with a Rocket Launcher.
- If the player dies whilst leaving the warehouse with Roman, once Niko spawns back at the nearby hospital, his conversation with Roman will carry on as normal.
- There is a carbine rifle near the entrance on the first floor.