The International Affairs Agency (IAA) is an intelligence agency in Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V. It is most likely a parody of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) since the abbreviation sounds similar and the seal also bears a resemblance.
In 2013, the IAA had begun to lose funding as terrorist activity has calmed down. According to Steve Haines, the agency had tasked Humane Labs and Research to develop a strong neuro-toxin. When it was finished, the IAA would then release the neuro-toxin in a major metropolitan area and pass it off as a terrorist attack to hopefully re-inflate their budget due to the demand by the public to stop terrorism. The plan was foiled, however, by Steve Haines and Dave Norton of the FIB and Michael De Santa during the mission Monkey Business.
It is confirmed that the United Liberty Paper is a front for the IAA, as the United Liberty Paper Contact appears as an IAA agent and point-man in Grand Theft Auto V. Karen also appears in the game as a lead interrogator.
All three protagonists fought with the IAA in different missions, agents are seen in the missions: Three's Company, Monkey Business and The Wrap Up, their appearances are themselves very short. In Three's Comapany they use pistols, SMGs and Shotguns and in The Wrap Up, one agent is carrying the Carbine Rifle.
- United Liberty Paper Contact, (optional) - can be killed in 2013.
- Karen, working for the IAA since 2008 and has since become a Lead Interrogator.
- Niko Bellic, hired assassin, not full employee.
- Little Jacob, hired assassin, not full employee.
- Lucinda Jacob, spokeswoman
- Aleks Thornton (Possibly)
Weapons & Equipment
- The IAA is based on the CIA, though it incorporates elements of the NSA, mainly its involvement in domestic affairs (the CIA officially does not operate domestically).
- The symbol of the IAA features what appears to be an eye, along with arrows that resemble missiles. This could be a reference to how the CIA (and to an extent the NSA) is notorious for spying on people and sending drone strikes.
|Introduced in GTA IV: LCPD • ASP • LCPA • ASDOC • NOOSE • FIB |
Introduced in GTA CW: IAD
Introduced in GTA V: LSPD • LSSD • IAA • SAHP • SAPR • LSPA
SASPA • NYSP
Introduced in GTA Online: DOA
Mentioned only: BON • CIA • Globalpol