Repubblica italiana (Italian)
Italy is a country in southwestern Europe. The capital and largest city is Rome. There are many references to Italy in Grand Theft Auto series. Italy shares borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, and the two enclaves: San Marino and Vatican.
- The Mafia families are from Italy. They can be heard saying certain phrases in Italian.
- Many characters over the series are from an Italian descent.
- Saint Mark's, Portland, has a large Italian community. (III, LCS)
- There are Italian flags in the Orbit Building in east Belleville Park, Staunton Island. (III, LCS)
- Gnocchi is an Italian clothing brand. (SA, IV)
- The vehicle manufacturer Grotti, which makes the Cheetah and Turismo sports cars and Jetmax boat, comes from Italy. (SA, IV)
- The vehicle manufacturer Pegassi, which makes the Infernus sports car and Bati 800 motorcycle, comes from Italy. (IV, V)
- Al Dente's is an Italian restaurant. (IV, V)
- Stronzo is an Italian beer brand. (V)
- An Italian flag can be seen at Los Santos Country Club. (V)
- The neighborhood of Vespucci is named after the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, the same man America is named after.
There are a lot of Italian-American gangs or mafia families in the GTA series. These groups have their origins in Italy and likely still have connections back home. In Grand Theft Auto IV and its episodes, The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned, there is The Commission, a council-like organisation made up of the five most powerful or influential mafia families in Liberty City. However several of these families still fight with one another and rivalries remain common.
Here is a list of Italian gangs or crime families in the series;
- Sicilian Mafia
- Forelli Family
- Vercetti Family (also known as the Vercetti Gang)
- Leone Family
- Sindacco Family