- "We've cared about people for too long! I'm not extending a helping hand, I'm giving you all the finger!"
- ―Jock Cranley
Cranley warns against the use of drugs and admits to having had problems with drugs in the past. He was arrested by the VCPD, although he was later released, claiming it was a stunt double committing the crimes on PSA he was assigned to do.
Prior to fame, Cranley used to live in Blaine County. During the 1970s, Cranley aspired to be a professional stuntman in Los Santos, but his wife Jolene objected to them moving to Los Santos as she wanted to stay in Blaine County. So one day, the couple went hiking up Mount Gordo in 1978, Cranley threw his wife over the side of a cliff, killing her. He was taken into custody by the police but immediately released without charge.
In GTA V, he is the main conservative candidate in the upcoming gubernatorial election in State of San Andreas. His main rival is the liberal candidate Sue Murry. He has commercials on TV and a website at Jockcranley.com. On these, Cranley promises to eliminate taxes by selling off unnecessary parkland and reducing the education budget by 98%. He is reported to attempt to humiliate his opponent a lot, calling her "names that rhyme with 'front' and 'scratch'", portraying her as a bloody, demonic monster, and even throwing feces at her campaign headquarters. He also appears as a guest on Bless Your Heart, a talk show on Blaine County Talk Radio. He and the host, Bobby June, discuss politics, the election, Cranley's background, and do some cooking. During the show, Cranley reveals that he has had three families and it is implied that he is sexually attracted to the friends of his 16-year-old daughter.
In his radio advertisements, Cranley states that he hates "immigrants, gays, and the crippled" and also "can't stand unions, cops or old ladies".
- Cranley is based on the numerous Hollywood actors who have gone on to represent the Republican Party in government. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sonny Bono have been elected as Republicans to high public office in California (the former two were Governors of California). In addition, Alan Autry, Clint Eastwood and Jack Kelly have all been Republican mayors of small cities in California.
- His revelations on "Bless Your Heart" might be a parody of some conservative Republicans in the US who have preached about family values (usually in the context of going against gay rights) while being divorced several times.
- He is one of the few characters from the 3D Universe to carry over from the HD Universe, along with Lazlow, Fernando Martinez, Jack Howitzer and Willy from Love Fist.
- British tourist and celebrity seeker Nigel mistakes Trevor for Jock Cranley when they first encounter each other in Nigel's first Strangers and Freaks mission. Nigel and Mrs. Thornhill keep calling Trevor "Jock" during the time they work together in gathering celebrity items.
- There is an easter egg in Grand Theft Auto V where the player can find Jolene Cranley-Evans' ghost near Mount Gordo. If the player approaches her, she will vanish, leaving the word "Jock" written in blood on the rock. Also when walking around the base of the mountain where Jolene supposedly fell to her death, one can hear the scream before she died.
- He is very similar to his counterpart, Thomas Stubbs III. Both are corrupt politicians who want great power, and kill their family in the way, that is, like Jock kills his wife, Thomas kills his uncle.