Based on the Sikorsky UH-3H Sea King, with some visual elements similar to the HH-52 Seaguard, the Leviathan is the second largest helicopter on the game and has the ability to land on water thanks to its boat-shaped hull, being one of the three aircraft that can land of water (the others being the Sea Sparrow and the Skimmer). It is very slow and sluggish, slowly ascends, and strangely has the same rotor sound as the Hunter, Cargobob and Raindance. Its name comes from the mythological creature of the same name. It only features one livery, light grey with a yellow stripe on the tail.
The Leviathan performs like the Cargobob. Due to its large size and weight, the helicopter is sluggish and slow, and should not be used like the Hunter or the Maverick. Handling is one of the heaviest of the game. If moved too fast, it may lose control, get upside down, and eventually crash.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
The Leviathan is used in the mission Up, Up and Away! in which the helicopter has a crane with a magnet attached to the bottom that can be used to lift vehicles. There is no way to obtain any helicopter with a magnet like this outside of this mission, but some mods may enable the Leviathan to have a magnet crane attached to it. The Leviathan from this mission can be saved, but its magnet will not be saved in the garage. Once completing the mission, a Leviathan will spawn at Verdant Meadows, but it does not come with a magnet.
- Easter Bay International Airport, San Fierro, in the northern part near the tunnel entrance, next to a Raindance. It is locked until the player has a high enough flight skill.
- Verdant Meadows after completing Up, Up and Away! Note that when both the Leviathan and Hunter are unlocked, only one of them can spawn at a time. Arrive from the west to spawn the Hunter and arrive from the east to spawn the Leviathan.
- Las Venturas Airport, Las Venturas near two Shamals and two Dodos. Spawns upon arriving from the north instead of the second Dodo.
- Occasionally found in the lower levels of the Las Venturas Police Headquarters. It will most likely explode once approached due to the tight space where it appears.
- Leviathan is a fearsome monster described in the Bible, believed by scholars to be a rather embellished description of a crocodile, but usually depicted as a sea serpent. As a general word, it is used to describe anything extremely large.
- The Leviathan plays K-DST by default when entered.
- Cargobob, a heavy amphibious helicopter also capable of lifting vehicles in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V.
- Skylift, a heavy helicopter capable of lifting vehicles in The Ballad of Gay Tony and Grand Theft Auto V.