|For the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas rendition, see Los Santos Police Department (3D Universe).|
- "Obey and Survive."
- ―Motto of the LSPD.
According to the badges on officers, the LSPD was established in 1889, nearly a hundred years after Los Santos was founded.
The LSPD appears to be well-funded and equipped, although unlike previous games, LSPD officers and cars very rarely appear on the streets of Los Santos.
The only sure ways to find officers are in the airport, directly outside police stations, when they are chasing down a suspect, or by dialling 911 in the in-game phone for the Police. Arrow stations also usually have an officer or two, particularly the underground ones. Sometimes, up to four officers can appear. In Downtown Los Santos, foot patrols of two officers can be found within a 2 block radius of the Mission Row Police Station, often interacting with the homeless that frequent the area. This is also a common area to find patrol cars circulating in a non-pursuit situation. In other areas of Los Santos however, it is rare to find an occupied patrol car unless it is in pursuit of an NPC driver. These pursuits spawn randomly throughout the city.
Officers can be encountered stopping NPC crime by shooting NPCs who are resisting arrest, shooting the car of someone they've pulled over, often killing the suspects. Unless it is a scripted random event the player is not permitted to use force to attempt to assist in the capture of a pursued NPC suspect, as a wanted level will be attained and the police attention will immediately switch to the player.
Against the Player
The LSPD follow a rank and hierarchy system similar to the real world counterpart of the LAPD. Some of the LSPD officers have patches on their uniform sleeves which show their rank. To determine whether an officer is Police Officer I or II, officers with a tie and no rank on their shoulder will most likely represent Officer I because most rookies out of the academy wear a tie on the job. Officers that don't wear a tie and have no rank on their shoulder are most likely Officer II.
- Chief of Police
- Assistant Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Lee Whitless
- Captain III
- Captain II
- Captain I
- Captain Poro [ ]
- Captain A P Jones
- Lieutenant II
- Lieutenant I
- Sergeant II
- Sergeant I
- Detective III
- Detective II
- Detective I
- Officer III+I
- Officer III
- Officer II
- Officer I
Locations of Police Stations
- Main Article: Police Stations
The Los Santos Police Department is large and organized, occupying a number of Police Stations throughout the city of Los Santos.
Dedicated LSPD Stations
The LSPD has multiple types of vehicles at their disposal, including:
- The Police Cruiser, based on the 1998-2011 Ford Crown Victoria, is a second generation Stanier which can be seen mostly parked at police stations and will also be used to patrol and respond to crimes in the Downtown area of Los Santos. Its capabilities and vehicle performances have been upgraded compared to its previous predecessor, the first generation Stainer.
- The Police Interceptor, designed after the new Taurus-based Ford Police Interceptor showcasing new LED style lightbars, working alley lights, wig wag tail lights, flashing head lights, grill lights, windshield and back windows lights and push bar lights. This vehicle can be found at police stations as well as on patrol and responding to crimes/chasing criminals. It is also the main squad car the LSPD uses.
- The Police Buffalo, based on the Dodge Charger. This vehicle is rarely seen; it is used to patrol the Downtown area of Los Santos.
- The Police Transporter, based on a Second generation Burrito. It is used to patrol certain parts of Los Santos but will appear mostly during a wanted level of 3 stars or higher, in roadblocks where it will deploy a spike strip.
- The Unmarked Cruiser, based on the Police Cruiser and also a second generation Stanier, is an unmarked vehicle that can be found around Downtown Los Santos, however it is rare and less common to find. It appears mainly black in color and has no external markings or visible emergency lights making it much more inconspicuous to the public and is mainly used by detectives rather than patrol officers.
- The Police Maverick, based on the real-life American Eurocopter AS350B-2 A-Star, It can be seen parked on certain police station roofs and can also be seen patrolling the skies and chasing criminals. It is used by the Police only in scripted events, as in normal gameplay it us used by the NOOSE instead.
- The Police Predator, it can be seen patrolling the waters and shores near the beaches and can sometimes be seen chasing criminals. It will spawn when the player is either close to or in the water with 1 wanted level or higher.
- The Police Riot, can be seen at a wanted level of 4 and 5 stars and are used mostly in roadblocks but sometimes nearby officers will pursue the player with one, though it is very slow.
LSPD Officers wear all navy blue uniforms resembling their real life counterparts in the LAPD. They wear either long or short-sleeved duty shirts on which their badges, resembling the LAPD silver badge, is displayed on their left side. Their shirts may also display stripes on their sleeves to indicate their rank. They wear long duty pants and are also equipped with a duty belt, which contains a radio, a pair of handcuffs, ammo cases, and what appears to be a Glock 22. Some can also be seen wearing a police hat, body armor (kevlar), and more rarely, a pair of glasses. There is an LSPD uniform for Michael which can be worn using mods as seen on this video
When chased at a 3 star wanted level and above the officers in cars wear bulletproof vests over their uniform, which can make them tougher to kill.
- To negate this, the player must shoot them in the head.
- Female officers will not wear body armor.
- If the player obtains a wanted level during Three's Company, Dave Norton will state that their training lasts for two weeks, and that Michael should have no difficulties to lose them.
- Their motto is "Obey & Survive". It is based on the LAPD's "To Protect and to Serve" motto, but was altered to reflect the accusations against the LAPD (and by extent against the LSPD) of excessive violence.
- In addition, the police badge strongly resembles that of the LAPD, except it features what appears to be two officers dragging a civilian, another reference to excessive LSPD violence.
- An in-game news article that says a man was arrested for using his camera phone to film the cops and they shot his dog for "good measure" is likely based on a real life incident that happened in 2013. A man filmed cops at a crime scene and had his car radio on very loud and was arrested for it. While being handcuffed, his dog jumped out of the car window and barked and leaped at the cops while trying to get to his owner. One of the cops (a Hawthorne police officer and not an LAPD one) responded by shooting the dog dead. This obviously caused uproar and anger from the public.
- Interestingly, when there are a lot of wounded officers or civilians, there is a chance that two or more unharmed officers will make a hasty attempt to go and drag any of them into cover. If a civilian is taken into cover, they will still be on the ground in pain (when paramedics are dispatched, they will save them), while an officer will stay at their side, protecting them. However, if an officer is taken into cover, it will take around 15-20 seconds (less if paramedics are dispatched and they are healing them) for them to get back up, pull out a pistol and resume to shoot at the player.
- Paramedics will rarely succeed, as they will leave if any shots are fired, and the police will continuously shoot at the player.
- The LSPD, like the real LAPD, is often accused of racism. This is backed by the fact that the LSPD are currently creating "minority quotas" in order to help boost their reputation.
- LSPD officers' hat has the logo of the Los Santos Sheriff Department.
- LSPD officers can sometimes attack pedestrians attacking the player, much like the LCPD in GTA IV, but unlike the LCPD, they will shoot at pedestrians instead of trying to arrest them.
- If the player has a wanted level, and the officers don't have a police vehicle near them, they will get into parked civilian vehicles or commandeer them, the same as GTA IV's LCPD.
- The player's vehicle may be subject to this. If the player's vehicle is parked near a police station, the player may witness a cop using it if a chase occurs that does not involve the player.
- If the player or an NPC is being chased by police while in sight of other officers on foot, the officers on foot will get into nearby police vehicles and help their partners.
- It is stated that the LSPD is also accused of hiring prostitutes, or even having oral sex with their favorite prostitute as stated in their Bleeter page, although this cannot be seen in-game, nor on their Bleeter page.
- In very rare instances the LSPD will announce themselves as Globalpol.
- The LS Quik newspaper describes the LSPD as the "most violent police force in the world".
- Both long and short sleeve shirts of the LSPD uniform for the males, is the same for the Park Rangers, just retextured.
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353347/Police-shoot-kill-Rottweiler-street-dog-runs-owner-arrested-obstruction-justice.html
- ↑ http://rt.com/usa/california-man-dog-killed-police-492/