- "Military issue M60s. Now found as weapon of choice for well-funded private militias."
- ―GTA Vice City Website.
The M60 is a family of American general purpose long range machine guns.
The M60 is the strongest firearm in terms of damage per bullet; the M60 takes down a police helicopter within 36 rounds, whereas most bullet-based weapons (including the Minigun) need 176 rounds to take one down. Additionally, the M60's bullets knock targets down just like shotguns and the Python, and can aim in first person just like assault rifles, with the bonus of having a 100-round load. It has a long range accuracy, and it is the only Heavy Weapon with which the player can both move to a normal walking pace and jump with it.
It appears in Vice City and Liberty City Stories as the M60E1 model. Its bipod is folded and the box magazine is not inserted. Instead, the bullet belt drapes off the gun. The firing sound is shared with the Hunter's chain gun, although both are completely different weapons. In later games (GTA Vice City Stories, The Ballad of Gay Tony and GTA V), it is replaced by the Combat MG.
- GTA Vice City
- Received in the mission Phnom Penh '86, when the player has to kill the remaining gang members inside the house.
- Little Haiti - Available to buy from Phil's Place after completion of Boomshine Saigon ($8,000).
- Fort Baxter Air Base - In the west guard tower (Use the Cop Outfit to get in and out unharmed).
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Francis International Airport, Shoreside Vale - On roof of a hangar close to a ramp.
- Spawns at each safehouse upon completing all 20 rampages.
- Usable during the AWOL Angel side mission.