Organized crime in Liberty City has traditionally been controlled by the Five Families (Gambetti, Pavano, Lupisella, Messina, and Ancelotti families) with the less influential Alderney Mob. Business interests range from all reaches of crime, murder, contract killing, bombings, extortion, loan sharking, racketeering, gambling, hijacking among many others. Within Liberty City are many people and activities linked to the Mafia. Over the years in Liberty City the mafia has come into conflict both internally amongst the families and with other criminal organizations throughout the city oftentimes resulting in war.
- In GTA: San Andreas all gangs have 3 models of gang members but the Mafia have 4 instead of 3.
- In most games, the mafia families often appear as an antagonistic gang toward the protagonist, with the exception of Leone Family in GTA San Andreas and Liberty City Stories, and The Commission in Grand Theft Auto IV, which all of them were neutral gangs.
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is the only game which the player works for the mafia in the entire storyline, the Leone Family.
- In GTA San Andreas one of the Mafia members would often comment about his appetite and gluttony.
- There is a glitch in GTA San Andreas, there is a way to gain more gang territory throughout the state of San Andreas. To exploit the glitch, fly a plane into the southwest or southeast corners of the map, and continue onwards in the respective direction; continue this for a long period (30 minutes is suggested), then either fly back (which will take a long time), or drown oneself after the 30-minute mark. After returning or awaking at a hospital, a glitch will have occurred, and there will be gang territories visible all over San Andreas. The Italian Mafia can now be encountered in Las Venturas, usually wielding Pistols and Desert Eagles, and driving Feltzers, Sentinels, or Admirals.
- The Italian Mafia is easily the most powerful gang in Liberty City, even surpassing the heavily armed Russian Mafia, having the largest amount of members and being very well armed, but not as well the Russian Mafia though. They are much better with their weapons, being surgically precise at almost any range. They are also better at fighting and in combat.