- "No, I don't want to sleep with you, and no, I don't care that I'm thirty-nine and single. It doesn't worry me a bit."
- ―Mary-Ann Quinn
Mary-Ann is a highly-strung fitness enthusiast who trains for foot and bicycle races as well as a triathlon. She comes across as extremely angry, but will deny that she is when asked. She often offers up personal information about herself whether or not she has been asked. She'll also talk about personal problems, and then dismisses her own concern, though clearly her tone and actions prove that these things bother her greatly.
She appears to be utterly disdainful of males and usually berates them with a string of verbal insults, whether warranted or not. She's also convinced that every male that approaches her wants to have sex with her, which she is quick to make clear will not happen. She doesn't want to get pregnant because she is afraid of getting fat.
When she meets Trevor for his side mission, she vehemently denies she has anything in-common with him when he begins to come on to her, but she actually shares many of his traits, such as irrational anger, no emotional control, and making no sense at times.
Mary-Ann is one of two Strangers and Freaks characters in GTA V to give missions to all three characters, the other being Barry.
Little is known about Mary-Ann's background. According to her Lifeinvader account, Mary-Ann is seeing a man named Adam, who was met through a blind date set by her swimming coach. It is likely he's the man that Trevor assaults when he meets Mary-Ann, as she stated in her Lifeinvader page that she's going to meet him near the Vinewood Sign, which is where the mission is triggered. Mary-Ann's mother is on Lifeinvader as well, but her profile is strangely titled "Mother" instead of her real name.
She also states she's a Senior Vice President in her profile page.
Events of GTA V
Mary-Ann appears in three different Strangers and Freaks missions, each of then with one of the three protagonists.
The first one to be available is the one with Michael. Michael meets Mary-Ann while she is doing some exercises in Del Perro. Mary gets angry at Michael, thinking that he is only speaking with her because he wants to have sex, and teases him, saying that she can beat him in a race any time. Michael accepts the challenge and they both run to Del Perro Beach. After Michael beats her, she tries to justify herself saying she is "tapering for a tri." She then hops on a bike and goes away very angry. Curiously Michael is the only one of the three protagonists that she friends on Lifeinvader.
The second encounter with Mary-Ann is with Franklin. Franklin encounters Mary-Ann on a beach in Paleto Bay. She is again found doing exercises and when Franklin approaches her she says to him stop looking at her ass. Franklin replies that he was not looking, but her ass is a little "thin for his taste", but still nice. Mary teases Franklin to the point that they both decide to compete against each other in a triathlon. Franklin beats Mary-Ann and says that it's not about winning but just competing. Mary-Ann says that it is always about winning and leaves, again angry at herself.
The third and last encounter with Mary-Ann is with Trevor. Trevor finds Mary-Ann in front of the broadcast station at the end of Mount Haan Drive in Vinewood Hills, having a discussion with her boyfriend (probably Adam). Mary is found screaming at her boyfriend who apparently wanted to break up with her, she says that she doesn't care about him and tries to make very clear that he is the one who is wrong in wanting to end their relationship. He doesn't say anything during the entire discussion, since Mary doesn't stop talking long enough to allow it.
The discussion ends with Trevor punching the guy in the face and declaring his love to Mary-Ann who he thinks is the love of his life. Mary says that if he wants her he needs to prove what he is capable of, they both hop onto bikes and begin to race down the hill. After Trevor wins the race, she tells him to go "spurt his genome in a gym sock" and runs away.
Mary-Ann appears in the following Strangers and Freaks side missions:
- Mary-Ann humorously states she is in her 30s if Michael races with her in running gear.
- She was planning to have a child via a surrogate.
- Despite obtaining her personal phone number, she never makes any calls nor can she be called on by any of the characters.
- If the player manages to get hold of her bike they'll find that it has a much faster speed than any other bike in the game.
- It is very likely that Mary-Ann is possibly inspired by real life fitness trainer Jillian Michaels. Like Mary Ann, Jillian is often known for shouting at the contestants who had her as a trainer on The Biggest Loser up until her departure from the show in 2013. They also share the same birth year.
- Franklin mentions during his mission that she should hang out with his aunt Denise Clinton (presumably since they both share feminist agendas).
- Despite racing with all three protagonists, strangely Michael is the only one she remains in contact with after the race friending him on Lifeinvader and sending messages to his page. Although their racing dialogue seems to imply she enjoys his snide, selfdeprecating humor throughout.