- If you are looking for Irish Mobs from GTA Chinatown Wars, see Irish American Killers
The McReary crime family is a family of Irish-American Mafia based throughout Liberty City in the HD Universe, headed by the McReary brothers. They operate in Dukes and formerly the West Side in Purgatory, Algonquin.
The McReary's used to be a powerful force in Liberty City, but its influence has diminished greatly as of late. The gang control Purgatory in Algonquin, as well as most of Broker, but the expansion of the Italian Mafia and Russian Bratva encroached on their empire. Also, most of the gang members have a tendency to spend their money on drugs, alcohol, and women rather than saving it and using it to expand the family's interests. As a result, the gang consists of mostly hired guns.
Events of GTA IV
Gerry has been in and out of prison over the years, significantly damaging any stability the gang hoped to maintain. With Gerry back in prison, the leadership has fallen mostly on Patrick 'Packie' McReary, the youngest of the family. Under Packie's control, the gang has been reduced to hired mercenaries for the Pegorino Family, working for the incompetent Ray Boccino, or dealing drugs for Elizabeta Torres. Other members include a former Provisional IRA member named Derrick McReary, the eldest brother, who has been crippled by heroin addiction. He was in charge of the gang but quickly relinquished control to Gerry, and has since alienated former members Bucky Sligo and Aiden O'Malley by allegedly giving them up to the Liberty City Police Department. Other members include Michael Keane and Gordon Sargent. The gang is also discredited by the fact that one of the McReary brothers, Francis, is ambitiously pursuing the job of Commissioner of Police. Such a connection is greatly damaging to the reputation of both parties.
Niko Bellic also works as a hired gun for the Irish. He was introduced to Packie through a mutual friend, drug kingpin Elizabeta Torres. In GTA IV, the McRearys drive modified Übermacht Oracles and green Contenders.
- Mr. McReary - founder/original leader †
- Gerald McReary - second leader (convicted)
- Patrick McReary - lieutenant/3rd leader (formerly)
- Gordon Sargent
- Michael Keane †
- Derrick McReary †
- Bucky Sligo (formerly)
- Aiden O'Malley (formerly)
- Maureen McReary - Mr. McReary's wife and associate (formerly), mother of the McReary siblings
- Niko Bellic - hired gun
- Ray Boccino - Pegorino crime family capo †
- Jimmy Pegorino - Pegorino crime family Don †
- Elizabeta Torres - business associate (convicted)
- Stevie - vehicles dealer
- First Date
- Luck of the Irish
- Waste Not Want Knots
- Three Leaf Clover
- Tunnel of Death
- Blood Brothers
- She's a Keeper
- Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
The Ballad Of Gay Tony
- The McReary Family own the two Irish pubs in Liberty City; Steinway Beer Garden and Lucky Winkles.
- Some of its members are used in One for All, Cops n Crooks.
- The gang's favorite radio stations are Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 and Liberty City Hardcore.
- The McReary's are mostly likely partly based on The Westies, which were an Irish American criminal organization. Just like the McReary's, the Westies operated in Hells Kitchen, which Purgatory is based on. The Westies too, eventually lost influence in Hells Kitchen due to gentrification, just as the McReary's did. The major members of the Westies were also jailed or killed, similar to the McReary's.
- If Niko is attacked by a pedestrian, one of the McReary's may come and assist Niko and will fight the pedestrian. However, they usually will just beat the pedestrian until they decide to run away and not usually kill them. This is also the case with the Jamaican Mafia. On occasion, they may pull out a Baseball Bat to attack the enemy. The McReary clan will only aid the player after the mission Harboring a Grudge. Before it, when Niko fires a gun at Steinway, Irish mobsters may go after him with a pistol or pump shotgun.
- In GTA IV multiplayer, one of the male characters uses the same dialogue as an Irish Mob member.
- Packie McReary left Liberty City some time between 2008-2013 and Gerald McReary is presumed to be in prison so it is possible that the group has disbanded, or someone else took it over, most likely Gordon Sargent. The gang may also have become the Irish-American Killers from GTA Chinatown Wars.