The Mountain Bike exists in the game as one of only three bicycles in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, designed more for speed and power rather than nimbleness and ability to execute bicycle tricks.
The Mountain Bike is the most capable in hill climbing; even if an incline is significantly steep, due to the fact that it has multiple gears (while other bikes only have one). The player can tap the acceleration command while on a Mountain Bike can climb its slope with less effort than other bicycles.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
- Madd Dogg's Rhymes - The bike is given after leaving the Crib as an option to come back to the Burger Shot.
- House Party - A GSF member comes riding a Mountain Bike to warn about the Ballas' attack.
- In most cases, the Mountain Bike is available parked in specific locations in the State of San Andreas:
- On top and at the base of Mount Chiliad. The bike on the summit automatically starts The Chiliad Challenge when entered.
- Three of them can be found at the dirt track that connects Back o' Beyond and Whetstone: two under a few trees, and another due southeast across the track beside a bush and a stone.
- The parking lot outside the Creek Safehouse in Creek, Las Venturas.
- Beside one of the buildings next to the waters in Esplanade East, San Fierro.
- In front of a light pink house, facing the sea, just southwest of the Wheel Arch Angels in Ocean Flats, San Fierro.
- In the motel where you can find the Blueberry Safehouse, beside the wall in Blueberry, Red County (Not available on PC).
- Near house uphill from El Quebrados, Tierra Robada.
- Outside a house northeast of Fort Carson Medical Center, Bone County.
- In an open garage in Palomino Creek (Not available on PC).
- Because of its implied off-road capabilities, the Mountain Bike is more commonly found ridden by leisure bikers in forested or hilly rural areas, including northern Whetstone (particularly around Mount Chiliad) and Missionary Hill.
- The Mountain Bike has a glitch that only works in the original PlayStation 2 version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. While reversing, rapidly tap the accelerate button (normally X), and CJ's body will twist ridiculously out of proportion.
- Attempting to fire a RPG at the bike and blowing it up will result in the player catching on fire. Similarly, attempting to do the same with a Hydra will result in the aircraft being damaged and blown up. This also applies to the BMX and the Bike.