The Mugger is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series, featured as a minor character in Grand Theft Auto Online. Players are able to call Lamar Davis to send the Mugger after a specific player for $1,000 after reaching level 50. The Mugger can have any kind of appearance, including any gender. There can only be one Mugger spawned at a time in the world, meaning two players cannot use the Mugger at the same time. If a player tries to send a Mugger while one is still alive, a message will appear saying that the Mugger is currently working for someone else.
Once the Mugger is called, the targeted player will be knocked down by the Mugger and will have up to $10,000 stolen if they have not deposited their money into their bank account. After the 1.16 Update, the cash stolen will vary depending on the player's level. If the targeted player is in a vehicle, the player will simply be pulled out and knocked unconscious. The Mugger can be killed when they are running away, which allows players to take back their stolen money.
However, if the targeted player is in an inaccessible area, like midair, the Mugger will be called off and Lamar will issue a refund, just like when the Merryweather mercenaries fail to kill a target. If the Mugger is killed, then no refund will be placed. The target can also leave the session, which causes Lamar to give a refund.
- If the mugger somehow takes you out of an airplane when you are taking off they will fly off in the airplane.
- If the target player is on top of a building, the mugger can push them off causing injury or death.
- The mugger is generally easy to kill since he is slow and easy to catch up with. If the mugger escapes in a vehicle, however, it will be difficult to pursue him.
- The mugger will usually try to blend in with the surrounding NPCs (for example if the player is in Backlot City the mugger may be disguised as an actor in an alien costume).
- The Mugger is relentless when attacking a target. They can even pull a careless player out of a Rhino and drive away.
- Once the Mugger has escaped, they will turn into a regular pedestrian, thus making them behave as one. Once they are killed, however, the stolen money won't be dropped.
- If the Mugger somehow manages to kill the target, such as running them over while trying to escape, the kill won't be credited to the player who called the Mugger.
- Killing the Mugger after being robbed will grant the player the trophy/achievement Full Refund.
- If you are in a vehicle, the Mugger will still pull you out and also drive away with the car that you were in, including Personal Vehicles.