There are many hit missions in Grand Theft Auto IV, and Niko Bellic has accrued the greatest body count of any GTA protagonist thus far, with over 80 possible murders. This is most likely because he works as a hitman instead of creating a criminal empire. Here is a list of his intended targets ("collateral" murders such as those of unidentified gunmen, pedestrians, or police are not included). Random Character, and Most Wanted kills are also choices. Enemy-friend kills are choices that the player can make. These include characters who play a role in the storyline. When given the choice an arrow that blinks red (for enemy), or blue (for friend) will appear. Possible murders are murders of people that don't have a major role in the game, or any role at all. They are listed below:
- Ivan Bytchkov - Can be killed or spared during Ivan The Not So Terrible.
- Cherise Glover - Can be killed or spared during Ruff Rider.
- Clarence Little - Can be killed or spared during Holland Nights.
- Darko Brevic - Can be killed or spared during That Special Someone.
- Unnamed Russian Goon - Can be killed or spared during Portrait of a Killer.
- Unnamed Jewish Mobster - Can be killed or spared during Late Checkout.
- Jimmy - Can be killed during Clean Getaway. This would change the dialogue with Vlad.
- Mickey - Can be killed during Uncle Vlad, though this has no impact during the story.
- Joseph Kaplan - Can be killed after Dimitri knocks him out during Do You Have Protection?.
- Brett - Can be killed by Niko during Do You Have Protection?.
- Karen - Can be killed during Final Interview, although this does not impact the storyline.
- Vasily - Can be killed during Wrong is Right, although this does not impact the storyline.
- Alonzo - Niko can kill him during A Long Way To Fall, so he cannot warn Teddy.
- Talbot Daniels - Can be killed during Weekend at Florian's, this only changes dialogue with Ray.
- Frankie Gallo - Can be killed by Niko or the LCPD during To Live and Die in Alderney.
- John - Can be killed during Flatline, although it doesn't affect the story.
- Doctor Rosem - Can be killed during Flatline, although it doesn't affect the story.
- Cherise Glover's boyfriend - Can be killed or spared during Cherise's random encounter.
- Slimeball - Can be killed or spared during Ilyena Faustin's random encounter.
- Shirley Harlingford - Can be killed during Jeff's first random encounter. This will disable Jeff's next random encounters, although she will be killed before the start of the second encounter if spared.
Most Wanted Murders
- Maxwell Caughlin
- Scott Guzowski
- Antonio Rivette
- Rodrigo Stavnes
- Fernando Tisdel
- Tyler Pickrel
- Preston Pecinovsky
- Alonso Goralski
- Bert Reker
- Freddy Paparo
- Shon Kikuchi
- Jimmy Kand
- Simon Nashly
- Tommy Francovic
- Lino Friddell
- Juan Haimo
- Darren Covey
- Leo Brodell
- Christov Mahonvic
- Marty Boldenow
- Noel Katsuda
- Rodney McEniry
- Glenn Lushbaugh
- Phil Bacerra
- Sergi Szerbin
- Danny Hatmaker
- Mervin Eskuchen
- Frederick Harrison
- Keenan Burdett
- Niko kills most of his former employers, Vladimir Glebov, Mikhail Faustin, Ray Boccino, Dimitri Rascalov and Jimmy Pegorino. He can also kill either Playboy X or Dwayne Forge and Derrick McReary or Francis McReary.
- Niko has the most murders in the entire series, with a body count of 47 (not counting optional murders).