The North Yankton State Patrol (NYSP) is the police force that appears briefly in Prologue of Grand Theft Auto V. They operate in the state of North Yankton and were named Trooper of the Year in 1951. They are based on the North Dakota Highway Patrol, as North Yankton is based on North Dakota.
They use white Police Roadcruisers and Police Ranchers as first response vehicles. These cars are fitted with snow chains on the tires due to the snowy weather and treacherous driving conditions in that area. It seems that both are the Interceptor and the Sheriff SUV equivalents, respectively. Both were used in the year 2004 (during the Prologue), therefore is unknown if one of them or both are still used (the Roadcruiser was most likely discontinued and the Rancher was left for civilian use).
State Troopers wear black coats over white shirts with black ties, and light brown pants. Their uniform is based on that of the real life NDHP's uniform. Due to the weather, officers are also seen wearing heavy duty winter attire and gear such as jackets. Some of the State Troopers also wear Ushankas or other winter hats.
- Members of the patrol are quite heavily armed. Officers are seen using Carbine Rifles and SMGs in addition to their pistols and pump shotguns.
- The officers' uniforms oddly have sheriff badges, patches and stitching on their turtleneck undershirts, suggesting that they were originally not intended to be a state agency.
- Despite the massive shootout that takes place during Bury The Hatchet, the NYSP doesn't respond to the situation at all.
- The fact that the State Patrol uses vehicles from the 1970's/1980's in the year 2004 suggests that they are severely underfunded.
- It is likely that their budget goes more into the aforementioned weaponry than into vehicles.
|Introduced in GTA IV: LCPD • ASP • LCPA • ASDOC • NOOSE • FIB |
Introduced in GTA CW: IAD
Introduced in GTA V: LSPD • LSSD • IAA • SAHP • SAPR • LSPA
SASPA • NYSP
Introduced in GTA Online: DOA
Mentioned only: BON • CIA • Globalpol