Richards is a corrupt and wholly insane televangelist from Mars, Alabama, who is the head of the Pastor Richards' Salvation Statue Organization, an organization which promises salvation (in the form of a radiation-proof giant living space/effigy of Richards) to all those who pay him very large donations. However, he later reveals that he was actually planning on using the donated money to build himself a palace mansion in Hawaii during his time as a guest on Pressing Issues (VCPR).
By the end of the segment, Pastor Richards snaps, and, disgusted by Barry Stark's nudism, pulls a gun on Stark and shoots him in the genitals, while Jan Brown passes out. Barry survives and "is in need of a proctologist". Pastor Richards also ends up claiming the station as his own for a short while. Pastor Richards was also once invited to a boat party by Juan Cortez, the only time he actually appears.
VCPD Crime Tree Record
- Maniac firebrand preacher, obsessed with money.
- Has written several awful books. All completely fabricated. Most given away.
- Obsessed with degenerates.
- Has been campaigning to build a large statue in his own image.
- Has been attempting to bribe officials at NASA for rocket technology.
- Believed to be embezzling money from the fund for a private mansion in Hawaii.
- Possible polygamist.
- Hates people who help others.
- Fervent anti-communist.
- Obsessed with nuclear winter.
- Hateful human being, but menace to society uncertain at present.
Prominent Appearances in Missions
- GTA Vice City
- Along with several other past characters, Pastor Richards is one of the honored names on the sidewalk of Vinewood Boulevard.
- Richards was supposed to have a larger role in the game than his brief appearance in Cortez's party. The idea was ultimately scrapped.
- Richards seems to be based on real-life televangelist/con-artist Peter Popoff, as both rose to prominence in the 1980s and both promised salvation in exchange for monetary donations only to use the money solely for themselves. He also has some cues to preacher Jimmy Swaggart, which also was a very famous televangelist with dubious background and involved in several sex scandals.