Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article or section refers to content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is not featured on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.|
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
|For the vehicle, see Peyote.|
- "...I've finally grown paws... interesting, very interesting... and I've shrunk... and I like the smell of ass. Well, at least some things are the same!"
- — Trevor, the West Highland Terrier
A Peyote Plant is a collectible featured in the enhanced version of Grand Theft Auto V. It can be consumed by the player. Named after the real-life Peyote cactus which contains psychoactive properties, this plant seemingly has some sort of hallucinogenic effect on the protagonist's brain and body once taken.
Once the player finds a Peyote plant, an on-screen prompt will tell the player to press right on the D-pad in order to eat it. If pressed, a short cutscene will play, during which the player will be seen kneeling down and breaking a chunk off of the Peyote plant, before popping it in his mouth. After this, he will faint and fall on the ground, and the screen will shimmer and display bright colors (similar to the effects of Weed), and then the screen will suddenly go black. When the player comes to, he will seemingly find himself in the body of a random animal. While this is obviously part of his hallucination sequence, the player will be able to move the animal around and (for birds) even fly it around the gameworld (using controls similar to those of flying normal fixed-wing aircraft), interacting with pedestrians and other animals. The player is unable to pick up any objects while in the hallucinogenic state, so exploring underwater Wrecks can be done but no weapons or briefcases can be collected.
In the bird's body, the player is able to fly around the state, and will quite humorously be able to defecate on command (often times with comical consequences). As any quadrupedal animal (dogs, cats, etc.), the player is able to press the "horn" button to make the animal produce sounds (barks, meows, etc.) During the hallucination, the protagonist can be heard talking in his normal voice, in a complete state of awe at the peyote plant's powerful effects.
The player cannot choose which type of animal he can take control of, however the peyote will make animal noises when the player is near it, giving them a hint what they will turn into as well as the plant's whereabouts (this is arguably not too helpful as it can also be an actual animal making noise). If the animal somehow dies, the hallucination will end, and the player will find himself back in his own body. Alternatively, the player can pick when to end the hallucination by holding the right D-Pad button. As the psychoactive drug starts to wear off, the protagonist can be seen back at the original plant location, still mimicking the animal's behavior, such as flapping his wings (if he was a bird), or crawling around on the ground (if he was a dog). After some time, he will regain his senses.
Even if the player is an animal, NPCs will still interact with the player as if they were still a human. For example, if the player approaches some gangsters as an animal, they would talk to him and eventually open fire. Police may respond to any "crime" committed as an animal, such as killing or harrassing (by standing in front of the people until they call the police). Expect a wanted level when flying over any restricted area as a bird.
|West Highland Terrier|
Fightable and Unlockable
There are 27+1 collectible Peyote plant locations.
|Number and type||Description||Image||Map|
|1. Land||North Point, Paleto Bay. West of a park bench in the high point in the middle of the North Point Trim Track.|
|2. Sea||Paleto Bay, offshore just northeast of the FlyUS submerged wreck next to a natural archway. Scuba Suit recommended.|
|3. Air||Mt Chiliad summit. Southeast of the Bells End sign.|
|4. Air||Northeastern face of Mt Chiliad.|
|5. Land||Mount Gordo, beside a small lake west of the Yoga mat.|
|6. Sea||Northwest corner of the Alamo Sea, underwater.|
|7. Land||Raton Canyon just south of the East Alamo View lookout.|
|8. Air||Raton Canyon high on an outcrop on the north side of Cassidy Creek.|
|9. Land||Just north of Fort Zancudo in a valley of Mount Josiah|
|10. Sea||Underwater in the Pacific Ocean directly west of Lago Zancudo river mouth. Near a sunken rowboat.|
|11. Land||Two Hoots Falls, directly south of the carpark.|
|12. Land||Grand Senora Desert just west of the dirt road near the desert oil rigs. A brown yacht is just to the north.|
|13. Sea||Deep underwater in the Pacific Ocean directly east of Humane Labs and Research amongst the wreckage of military hardware. East of the skeleton of a Barracks OL. Scuba Suit required.|
|14. Land||In a trailer park at the north end of RON Alternates Wind Farm.|
|15. Land||Grand Senora Desert east of the Redwood Lights Track just southwest of the "welcome" alien sign by the farmhouse.|
|16. Land||Galileo Park just east of the Galileo Observatory Tunnel near the hiking trails picnic area.|
|17. Land||West Vinewood Hills next to a storm drain inlet, north of the junction of Hillcrest Avenue and North Sheldon Avenue.|
|18. Land||Vinewood Hills east side of the Beaver Bush Ranger Station.|
|19. Air||Gentry Manor Hotel on the top balcony. Helicopter or parachute required.|
|20. Land||Mirror Park on the rear porch of a new home on the south side of the Nikola Place development.|
|22. Land||El Burro Heights on the south side of the road by a parking area overlooking the south coast.|
|23. Land||Chamberlain Hills by the batting cage of the baseball diamond at the BJ Smith Recreational Center.|
|24. Air||Vespucci Beach on the rooftop pool balcony area of the Venetian Hotel. Helicopter required.|
|25. Sea||Underwater off the end of the Del Perro Pier.|
|26. Land||Next to a bus carcass on the west side of the Los Santos Customs branch on Greenwich Parkway near LSIA.|
|27. Sea||Underwater east of LSIA between the airport warehouses and the Port of Los Santos.|
|28. Special||On Raton Canyon, Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness, only on Tuesday from 5:30 to 8:00 AM with weather set to Foggy or Snow (must complete the game 100%, The Last One side-mission and find all 27 Peyote Plants)|
Collecting the 21 Land-based Peyote Plants will unlock all the controllable animals and award the player the Cryptozoologist achievement.
- All birds (except chicken) can defecate if pressing the attack button, but strangely, the fecal matter of the birds can activate car alarms and, if dropped on the water, will have an impact disproportionate to its size.
- If the player presses the horn button when playing as a fish, the only sound that can be heard is the sound of the protagonist drowning (except Dolphins and Orcas, presumably because they are marine mammals)
- The hallucinogenic properties of the peyote plant were originally referred to in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas when The Truth took the members of The Gurning Chimps on a "peyote safari".
- Often (though not always) the vehicle the player used to get to the peyote plant will be located nearby and repaired after the hallucination has ended.
- After eating all 27 plants, golden ones will appear, one in a different location for each day of the week, they will turn the player into the Big Foot. If eaten in order (from Sunday to Saturday) and looking around, a dead animal will be nearby, when eating the Sunday plant, the hunter from The Last One will lie dead next to the player. Growling after this will cause a howl to sound from the distance, to which the player must follow, starting a hunt of sorts that consists of following a trail of dead bodies. Eventually, the player will arrive at an airplane graveyard and growling won't be available, then one should head to a small shack nearby where the very last body will be located, the camera will then zoom into the main building, where a werewolf will jump from, starting a fight. If the player wins, the hallucination will end automatically.