- "We always use people like you. Michelle - Karen...She was the same. Someone with something to lose, but not much to live for."
- ― United Liberty Paper Contact
Portrait of a Killer is a mission in Grand Theft Auto IV, given to United Liberty Paper. In this mission, the ULP wants Niko to kill Adam Dimayev, the Russian owner of an imports/exports company who is financing terrorist activity.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Your contact will send you a picture of the target. Read the message when it arrives
- Get a cop car
- Access the police computer
- Use the police computer to locate your target
- Go to Dimayev's hangout
- Dimayev is there with his guards. Eliminate them all
- Choose the fate of one of Dimayev's goons. (if Dimayev is killed before his guards.)
- Adam Dimayev
- Dimayev's goons
After the initial cutscene, United Liberty Paper will message you a photo of the target. You must acquire a police car to access the computer's search-by-photo option, in order to get Dimayev's location on your radar, in East Island City. Jump onto Adam Dimayev's property and go to the right of the compound. Dimayev himself is in the doorway of the small trailer on the right side of the first tier of the compound. If you fail to kill him in this spot but alert him and his goons to your presence, he will flee toward the roof where you will have the option of killing him or letting him go. Either way, his goons must be eliminated.
An easy way to ensure killing Dimayev before he flees is to snipe at him from the bushes across the street. The entire first tier of guys can be eliminated in this fashion without one of their bullets reaching you.
An even more easy solution, in case you opt for killing Dimayev: Enter the top of the opposite building. You can do that, in parking a car next to the fire escape, that leads almost to the roof and then jumping onto the fireladder from the car and onto the roof at the end of the fire escape. From the roof, you have a very good chance to snipe everyone including Dimayev (he is the one, who will start to run, in case you missed him) without taking too much damage. Take out the closest guys first, then it should be possible to either take hardly damage or no damage at all.
If you fail to or opt not to eliminate Dimayev out front, he will flee to the roof of the small building on the second tier of the compound. Gain cover behind a car or dumpster and kill the goons on the first tier (if you haven't already sniped them all). Climb the ladder or walk around the wall on right side to reach the second tier. Another smattering of guards awaits; climbing onto a shipping container to gain the higher ground is a good strategy here. Climbing more containers, you'll reach the roof to finish off Adam. You have no other choice but kill him. If he is killed before his guards, one of them will drop a gun and you can spare, or kill him. The choice doesn't affect the game. Either way, Niko will automatically phone United Liberty Paper and tell him that he "served his purpose."
- Adam Dimayev - Killed by Niko on orders of U.L Paper .
- Dimayev's goons - Killed by Niko for defending Adam Dimayev.
- Unnamed Russian Goon (optional) - Can be killed or spared by Niko.
- This mission's name is a reference to Patricia Cornwell's novel Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper: Case Closed.