República Portuguesa (Portuguese)
|Anthem: A Portuguesa
|-||President||Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa|
|-||Prime Minister||António Costa|
|Establishment||25 April 1976|
|-||estimate||10,427,301 (as of 2014)|
Portugal is a country situated in Western Europe. Its language, Portuguese, is the seventh most spoken language in the world, and is the official language in Portugal and the seven (previously nine) former Portuguese colonies.
There are a few references to the country throughout the GTA Series.
References in the GTA series
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, there are grocery stores called "Verdi". This is a misspelling of "verde", which means "green" in Spanish, Italian, Romanian and Portuguese.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, many Portuguese flags can be seen in the Alderney district of Leftwood, a reference to the large Portuguese population of New Jersey.
- Portuguese bakeries called "Tomada do Forno" can be found in Leftwood, which would roughly translate to "Took from the oven" or "Taken from the oven".
- Some pedestrians can be heard speaking Portuguese, though with Brazilian accents.
- In GTA Online, players can customize their Yachts with a Portuguese flag (Enhanced version only).
- Magellan Avenue in Del Perro, Los Santos, is named after Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan.