Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|For the character in Grand Theft Auto V, see Ron Jakowski. For the mission, see Nervous Ron.|
- "A multinational oil company, and the people to thank for the scorching hot summers we have everywhere now."
- ― Description at Bawsaq.com.
RON (BAWSAQ: RON) is a multinational petroleum company featured in Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Grand Theft Auto V. The player can buy stocks of the company at the Bawsaq.com website in GTA V.
RON is most prominent in both games in the form of its numerous gas stations all over Liberty City and Los Santos. In GTA IV, RON storage tanks can also be found in Francis International Airport and Acter Industrial Park. RON presumably bases its Liberty City operations at the RON Building in Alderney City, Alderney, and also operates a refinery at the Acter Industrial Park, also in Alderney. In GTA V, the company operates a large wind farm in Los Santos, San Andreas, named the RON Alternates Wind Farm, which consists of a large array of wind turbines.
The RON name could be a reference to the term Research Octane Number (RON), which measures the amount of octane in petrol, or to the ENRON energy company, while the colors of RON's corporate livery and logo are similar to those of Shell. RON is also a shortened version of the word "wrong", this might mean to people of Liberty City "You've got RON Oil there".
Grand Theft Auto IV
In GTA IV, RON operates the largest gas station chain in Liberty City, with 7 stations in total (6 in GTA Chinatown Wars, not counting the Alderney branch), overshadowing all other gas station chains (Terroil and Globe Oil). Like other gas stations in GTA Chinatown Wars, the stations can be used to produce Molotov cocktails. RON also has the most expensive gas, ranging from $2.09 - $8.75.
Grand Theft Auto V
- The RON motto is "Put RON in your tank." This is play on an old Esso slogan, "Put a tiger in your tank!".
- At the RON gas station in Big Horn Drive, Westdyke, Alderney (the one with combined car wash), sometimes a glitched vehicle will always have its hazard lights on.
- RON stands for "Research Octane Number". Most European and Asian countries' gasoline octane ratings are determined by RON (eg. The United Kingdom uses RON), rather than the alternate AKI (Anti-Knock Index, used in North America).
- The company is possibly based on ExxonMobil (trading as XOM on the NYSE). In 1997 ExxonMobil and Southern California Edison jointly constructed a combination oil refinery and storage facility at the San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm on which the RON Alternates Wind Farm is based. This further supports the idea that RON is based on ExxonMobil.
RON owns tanker truck trailers in GTA IV, which are seen parked to the opposite side of the road leading to the toll on the Dukes Bay Bridge; they are seen if you turn left after coming from Bohan, they will be on the right after your turn. They are static, like all trailers in GTA IV, however, if inspected closely, these same tankers (in design and livery) have been converted into towable (dynamic) models in GTA V, which can be towed by any truck, even the Docktug, a small trailer transporter used and found near the Jetsam Terminal, Los Santos.
- "Refining Our Nation" is more of a slogan than a name, so there might be another hidden meaning to RON.
- RON's logo is most likely based on the pre-2007 logo of Norwegian gas company Statoil, which is still seen at most statoil filling stations. Statoil, however, does not operate in the USA.
- The slogan "Until The Last Drop", is a reference to Maxwell House slogan, "Good to the last drop".