|For a similar vehicle, see Rancher.|
- "A pioneer of the mid-size SUV market during the 1980s and early 1990s, the Rancher harks back to a simpler time when you could still stick a metal box on wheels and call it a car. If you're the kind of person who wants a fun off-road vehicle for less than 10k, and doesn't pay too much attention to crash data, this is the car for you. "
- ―Southernsanandreassuperautos.com description.
The Rancher XL is based on the 1973-1991 Chevrolet Suburban, but with a boxier design. Its front end could be based on a second generation Chevy K5 Blazer or 1984-1996 Jeep Wagoneer. It also shares some styling (front and rear fascias) with the Dodge RamCharger, albeit being considerably larger.
In-game, it's based on the original Rancher from Grand Theft Auto IV, but with four doors, having a longer wheelbase. The vehicle only appears in its full-body appearance, lacking a pickup variant unlike GTA IV's Rancher. Its paint scheme has also changed from its two-door counterpart, now being a two-tone colour scheme, instead of a single color with a wide stripe.
Current Design Gallery
Grand Theft Auto V
The Rancher XL is slightly slower than its 2 door version of the Rancher. Its handling is much better than the previous, however, its acceleration and its poor top speed leaves much to be desired. Its large Inline-4 engine can be heard very clearly, being significantly high-revving and roary.
GTA V Overview
(0 - 60mph / 0 - 100km/h)
(mph / km/h)
(AWD / FWD / RWD)
Number + Type
(Kg / lb)
|n/a||81 / 130 (Handling.dat)||
2400 / 5291
Inline-4 (In-game model)
Mass cannot be observed.
- A snow-covered Rancher XL is used by the player during the Prologue mission. This particular variant has snow on its hood and roof, and features snow chains on its tires.
Emergency Service Variants
- The North Yankton State Patrol uses the Police Rancher, a police variant with same design as the standard model, but comes in white, NYSP liveries and a lightbar.
Grand Theft Auto V
- Can be found around the lone building on the far southwest end of the Los Santos Airport and behind other hangars on the south end. Due to the immediate wanted level earned from entering the airport runway area, a Rancher XL here can be hard to obtain without owning a hangar.
- It can rarely be found driven around the streets of Los Santos.
- Can be also found in Chamberlain Hills and Strawberry.
- 2 can be found in the 'Duel' random event in a unique worn red and worn green.
Grand Theft Auto Online
- Can be bought for $9,000 on Southernsanandreassuperautos.com in GTA Online
- Can be found around the lone building in the far southwest corner of Los Santos Airport and behind other hangars on the south end.
- In the Prologue mission, after the train crash, when Michael, Trevor, and Brad get out of the vehicle, there is an audible Door Ajar Chime coming out of it.
- Chronologically, this is the first vehicle driven in the HD Universe.