Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|For the mission with the same name in Grand Theft Auto III, see Rigged to Blow (GTA III).|
- "He did not use to be like this. When we were young, at home, he was beautiful. He was happy...he made me happy. But then...something changed...years ago. I never quite knew what it was."
- ―Ilyena Faustin
Niko arrives at Mikhail's house, but he is not home and his wife Ilyena Faustin answers the door. She invites him in and serves him tea from a samovar (a rustic-looking tea dispenser) on their dining table, and tells Niko that Mikhail yells at her for using it, because he thinks it makes them look like "barbarians".
Niko and Ilyena talks about back in the days when Mikhail was a good person and when Niko was at war. As the conversation goes on, Ilyena asks Niko if he is concerned for his soul, and Niko vents that he entered a village and saw fifty innocent children sitting on the church wall all with their throats cut and their hands chopped off; he realized that the soldier who did it didn't have a soul (perhaps alluding to Niko not believing in souls).
Mikhail and his partner Dimitri Rascalov enter. Mikhail first knocks over the tea dispenser in a fit of rage and yells at his wife for ignoring him, causing her to cry. Mikhail tells Niko that he wants people to be taught lessons, but Dimitri wants to get his money instead. Dimitri wants Mikhail to calm down so that they won't be in more trouble with Kenny Petrovic. Mikhail is angered by Dimitri's insistence that Mikhail is wrong and orders him to get out. Mikhail wants Niko to pick up a truck parked on Montauk Avenue in Schottler.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the old factory and find the truck.
- Get in the truck.
- Drive to the garage.
- Park the truck inside the garage.
- Trigger the bomb.
- Get out of the area.
Head to the truck location, once Niko enters the truck he will call Faustin, who reveals that the truck a bomb, packed solid with high-yield very sensitive explosives. Niko must drive the truck to a garage in Chase Point, Bohan without colliding much, otherwise the bomb will detonate. There is a light on the back of the truck that indicates when the explosive is becoming unstable, followed by a speeding-up beep.
It is best to take your time, and drive sensibly. Because of the trucks weight it's very slow so the player doesn't need to worry about speed however its brakes are poor and the steering angle is too wide. Most of the streets the player drives through are wide and nearly empty of traffic (although the time of day can be an important factor here). Using the horn can also move other vehicles out of the way. Since the truck is so large, it may be easier to put the camera at a slightly higher elevation than normal, so the player can see what’s directly in his front. Paying attention to traffic lights will prevent most collisions at junctions. Stop to pay the toll, even if the player doesn't usually,as the police will most certainly cause the bomb to detonate.
Roman Bellic should call Niko as he is crossing into Bohan, but Niko will respond automatically, so just focus on driving. The player have to make a sharp turn when he gets off the East Borough Bridge, so be ready for that.
Arm the bomb, then let Niko make a run for it. Watch the explosion in the cutscene, and keep an eye out for a getaway vehicle. Get in a nearby car and leave before the police arrive.
Niko calls Mikhail saying that he will not do something like this again. Mikhail thought Niko is tougher than this and insults Niko that he is as weak as Dimitri (also mocking him as he is the "ice-cold killer"). From this point on, Niko refuses to do any more work for Mikhail.
Liberty Tree Newspaper
"An explosion has occurred at a garage on Guantanamo Ave and Windmill Street in South Bohan. Investigators on the scene have found traces of ammonium nitrate and nitromethane as well as the remains of a large truck. These are common ingredients in explosive devices. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots and blame terrorists here in Liberty City for the horrific destruction wrought at the garage. Luckily, no employees were present at the time of detonation. The garage is located on a busy street where people walk to go to work and do their shopping. We got lucky this time."
Weazel News Newspaper
"Again, Liberty City shakes with the sound of a large explosion. In response, our liberal Mayor, Julio Ochoa, has raised the terror threat level to Black 8. Residents of South Bohan would have been better off with a warning yesterday, Mr. Mayor. A Russian immigrant, Kenny Petrovic, owns the garage. Mr. Petrovic was unable to comment as we went to press. Why terrorists chose to target this business, we know not. But this does illustrate the point that no one is safe. The enemy can just as easily attack a privately-owned business as a national institution."
"All Americans citizens and residents are terrorists targets and they will stop at nothing before our livelihoods, our freedoms and our very lives are stripped from us. Something like this only serves to remind us of how valuable the sacrifices being made by our sons and daughters in conflict zones around the world really are."
After the Mission
- During this mission Niko will automatically get a call from Roman, who will ask Niko if he wants to go drinking. Niko explains that drinking would probably be a bad idea, given that he is driving a truckload of explosives across town, mentioning "If I go drinking with you, I will blow myself up for sure". The call serves no purpose other than as an ironic joke, similar to Little Jacob's calls in Have a Heart and I'll Take Her..., Brucie's call in Undress to Kill and Dining Out and Roman's other call in Shadow.
- Sometimes, as Niko is running away from the garage, he will be hit by a car before the explosion, making Niko off screen when the bomb goes off .
- Niko's famous "life is complicated" line from the debut trailer is said in the cutscene of this mission.
- The mission's title can also be interpreted as a double-entendre regarding Mikhail Faustin's highly impulsive attitude, since he is always set to explode in rage over the slightest thing.
- If the player goes back to the garage and hop on the Flatbed, Niko will be thrown very high into the air and then plummet to the ground, almost certainly dying.
- If the player sticks around after the explosion, he/she can see the owner of the garage call Kenny Petrovic and tell him it was "definitely not an accident". The player can kill the owner without failing the mission after he has made the call, as he starts to walk the streets like a normal pedestrian.
- The player will get a 2-star wanted level for hanging around near the burning garage for too long. This is implied to be because the LCPD and the citizens of Liberty City in general are suspicious and prejudiced against foreigners because of past terrorist attacks; the player can hear the police dispatcher announce "A possible terrorist attack at Chase Point" over the radio. The fact that Niko is foreign and loitering at the scene of the explosion therefore makes him the suspect in the eyes of the populace. The wanted level will decrease to zero once the player gets out of the area just like he normally would in the mission.
- Another mission called Rigged To Blow appears in Grand Theft Auto III, given to Claude by D-Ice with a similar objective but instead of a truck a car was used, instead of detonating the bomb the player must disarm it.
- The garage is destroyed for the rest of the game. This is the same for The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Even though this is Mikhail's last mission, it does not give his mission progress 100%, instead the following missions given by Dimitri completes his progress.
- Like with Roman's Sorrow and Action/Reaction, the fire cannot be put out.
- If the player takes Roman's Taxi to the truck, the driver, Mohammed, may drive recklessly into the truck before he even get into it, due to his reckless driving.