Like the Marquis, the Rio features a bermuda rig, but does not utilize it for propulsion (relying instead on its on-board motor) and lacks a headsail. In addition, the Rio is comparably shorter in height and length than the Marquis, but shares the Marquis' trait of an additional living space directly under the mast. The Rio also features a canopy over the boat's controls, and includes a back-mounted fan which purpose is unspecified, possibly for reading of wind speed/direction.
The Rio's size, together with its dependence on a small motor, makes steering of the Rio difficult and contributes to its slow speed, similar to the Marquis' performance. These shortcomings are downplayed in the GTA Vice City Stories rendition, with better maneuverability.
GTA Vice City
GTA Vice City Stories
- Located at the Ocean Bay Marina south of the Ocean View Hospital in Ocean Beach, Vice City.
- Located at the pier at the north of Starfish Island, Vice City.
- Located at the pier at the VIP Terminal at Escobar International Airport, Vice City.
- Used in The Mugshot Longshot by Jerry Martinez and a DEA agent, given by Lance Vance.
- Rio means "River" in Spanish and Portuguese.
- The Rio's name may be a reference to the Duran Duran song "Rio" and its famous music video, which features the band on a sailing yacht at sea and is widely regarded as symbolic of 1980s glamour and excess (themes Vice City extensively parodies). However, the actual yacht used in the video is mono-hulled rather than a catamaran, appearing more similar to the Marquis.
- It was meant to appear in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but was cut from the final game.