|For the mission in GTA Vice City, see Riot (GTA VC).|
Riot is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It is a mission protagonist Carl Johnson does independently, and is accessed from Madd Dogg's Crib, located in the Mulholland district of Los Santos, San Andreas. Completion of the mission will activate riot mode until the mission End of the Line.
Frank Tenpenny, along with Eddie Pulaski, has finally been charged with racketeering, corruption, narcotics and sexual assault. The whole gang, composed of Carl, Cesar, The Truth, Kendl, Maccer, Sweet and Madd Dogg, are gathered in Dogg's living room, watching the news coverage of the trial. The gang sit around providing a running commentary over the coverage as Carl tries to get them to be quiet so that they can hear what's going on. Sweet thinks that Tenpenny will get 20 years, but Cesar disagrees, pointing out that cops get off lightly in the justice system.
Later that day a lawyer reads out a statement that due to retracted witness statements, the lack of evidence and the disappearance of both Jimmy Hernandez and Pulaski, who is believed to be on the run (although Carl knows otherwise), all the charges against Tenpenny have been dropped and he walks out of court a free man.
Tenpenny's acquittal causes public outrage and the city erupts into rioting. Sweet is determined that there will be no rioting in Grove Street and asks Carl to take him back. Once he arrives back he sets off to lock down the "hood" and Carl leaves to see what's going on in the rest of the city.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Drive back to Grove Street
The entire purpose of the mission is to arrive safely at Grove Street, while avoiding exploding vehicles, rioters and other hazards en route.
There is no reward for this mission, though the mission Los Desperados is unlocked.
- The riots are based on the Los Angeles riots that occurred in 1992 (the same year San Andreas is set) similarly provoked after the trial of the police officers who used excessive force against late Rodney King.
- The NPCs carrying looted items may drop them, which disappear when they are threatened.
- Normally, when you threaten or kill a pedestrian that is carrying a television set, they drop it and it disappears through the map. But if you do this to someone over a bridge, the television falls through the bridge and then lands in the water. It can be swam through as it is not a solid object.
- This is the last chance to get The Truth's Mothership Camper. It can be seen with Cesar's car and Sweet's car. To obtain it, just steal it then save it in a garage and complete the mission. The other way is on the mission Black Project, here.
- Even though Sweet's Greenwood is parked outside of Madd Dogg's mansion and is used to drive back home, the Greenwood that always spawns outside of his house will be there by the time the player arrives in Grove Street, thus causing the Greenwood to appear twice in the same place.
- Once the mission is started the riots start and last until the last mission. There will be riots even if the mission is failed. This is because they are preprogrammed to start once the cutscene ends.