Not to be confused with the Hustler.
The Rustler is a decent-sized single-seater airplane with a single propeller at the front. The cockpit is located in the middle of the plane and CJ stands on top of the plane's left wing to open the hatch to reach the cockpit. When parked on the ground, the plane always leans tilted upwards, with rear steering while on the ground.
It has 6 machine guns fixed into the wings which deals a moderate amount of damage. The machine guns do not lock onto a target, and when coupled with the plane's impressive speed while in the air, this makes them difficult to use effectively.
As expected from a fighter plane, the Rustler has impressive speed in the air and is very maneuverable, making it one of the easiest planes (and is usually one of the first) in the game to fly. The plane is incredibly susceptible to damage; the machine guns are difficult to use because of its speed and the plane's lack of endurance. It also has a relatively long take-off time compared to other propeller-planes of its size.
Like other propeller planes, it will stall when the player attempts to fly it vertically.
- Used for multiple missions at the flying school.
- Used in the mission N.O.E. to fly under the radar to Angel Pine.
- It is also used in one of the checkpoint races in Las Venturas.
- The Rustler draws inspiration from various real-life WWII warplanes, including the North American P-51 Mustang, the Curtis P-40 Warhawk and the Supermarine Spitfire.
- Like other planes that tilt upwards when parked (such as the Stuntplane, Nevada and Cropduster) the plane will move backwards when the Cars drive on water cheat is enabled.
- In the bottom floor of the police impound lot in Roca Escalante (alongside a Leviathan and a Hydra). As the plane intersects the ground, it is impossible to even enter the plane.
- In a storage area in Easter Bay Airport. The hatch is locked until the player completes the mission "Mike Toreno".
- Spawns at Verdant Meadows after completing mission "Learning to Fly".
- Occasionally seen being flown in the sky by invisible NPCs.
- The Beta version of the Rustler had a different nose.