Safehouses (also known as properties) are buildings featured in Grand Theft Auto Online for the player to purchase and inhabit. They can be used as a place to sleep, shower, watch TV, hang out with friends and more.
DescriptionSimilar to GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas, safehouses can be purchased by the player after achieving Rank 5. They are mostly found in the eastern area of Los Santos and can be bought either on location by interacting with their for sale sign or by using the in-game Dynasty 8 website, where all available houses are listed. Originally, players could only own one property, but the High Life update increased the limit to two, the Festive Surprise increased it to three, and the Lowriders update increased that further to four, and the Executives and Other Criminals update increased it even further to a total of 5 possible properties.
There are three different house tiers, distinguishable by their interiors and the capacity of their garages: Low-end ones, with a garage for 2 vehicles, Medium ones, with a garage for 6 vehicles, and High-end ones, with a garage for 10 vehicles. Originally, the only available type of safehouses were apartments, but after the Independence Day Special update players are now also able to purchase low-end and medium villas in the outskirts of Los Santos and in the countryside, and as of the GTA Online: Executives and Other Criminals update, you can purchase stilt houses in the Vinewood Hills.
When purchased, houses can be either accessed by the front door or by their garage. They can also be set as spawn points for when the player enters Online. While the appearance of interiors varies depending on the garage capacity (see interiors for more information), as standard all houses are equipped with a television, computer, multiple drinks on the kitchen, a bed, radio, shower enclosures, and closets. All high-end safehouses include a telescope.
As of the GTA Online: Executives and Other Criminals update, the player has the option to customize their high-end safehouses. These customizations include the ability to change the furniture, lighting, and wallpaper, carpet, and much more, however, there are only 3 apartments you can actually do this to. This update also adds Vinewood Hills stilt houses. A fully staffed yacht is also purchasable after the release of this update.
Multiple activities can be performed while in safehouses, including:
- Watching television (including entrance and garage security cameras and viewing other players)
- Changing clothes in the closet
- Taking showers in the bathroom (which can be used to wash the character's blood away from their bodies after a gunfight)
- Sleeping on the bed
- Browsing the Internet on the computer
- Calling in strippers after getting their number from the Vanilla Unicorn
- Drinking any of the available drinks (wine, whiskey, green juice)
- Smoking from bongs
- Looking through the telescope (if the house has one)
- Inviting friends over to hang out
|This article or section is Under Construction.|
There are 22 different interiors for safehouses that vary depending on the capacity of their garage.
|House tier||Image||Garage capacity||Description||Price range (Cheapest to most expensive)||Houses / Locations and prices|
||A small ghetto-style house, with cheap furniture and low lighting. Features a medium living room with an open kitchen and a small messy bedroom and bathroom. Doesn't feature any sort of window view. Uses some assets from the Clinton residence.||$80,000 to $121,000||
||Medium sized house, with slightly better furniture and better lighting. Features a medium bedroom and living room with an open kitchen and a small bathroom. Also doesn't feature any sort of window view. Uses some assets from Floyd's Apartment.||$128,000 to $175,000||
||Large open space apartment, with a modern decoration and good lighting. Features a big living room with an open kitchen, a big bedroom and a medium bathroom. Also has a separate division for the closet and a small studio near the entrance. Includes a large panoramic window view that allows the player to see the surrounding world. Uses some assets from Franklin's house in 3671 Whispymound Drive.||$200,000 to $400,000||
||Added in the High Life update, a medium-Large apartment, slightly less lighting and open space than the other top tier one, but still as luxorious in decoration. Features a slightly smaller living room and kitchen but a larger entrance hallway. Uses some assets from Franklin's house in 3671 Whispymound Drive and Floyd's Apartment. The bathroom and the closet are the same as that of the first high-end interiors. The garage looks the same as other 10-car ones.||$468,000 to $500,000|
High-end (First style)
High-end (Second style, High Life Update)
- While inside a safehouse, players cannot draw their weapons, probably to prevent harm to visitors and hosts.
- Before patch 1.07, players weren't able to run inside of interiors.
- Players aren't able to shower if there is more than one player inside the bathroom at the time. When a player showers, the bathroom door is locked until the shower stops.
- If a player manages to be inside the bathroom at the same time as another player is showering, he will find that the other player is showering in underwear and flip flops.
- Occasionally, random pedestrians may spawn inside the player's safehouse, interacting with props that aren't there. They exhibit strange behavior; they may begin walking against a wall or piece of furniture, as if they don't see that it is there. A common occurrence is a pedestrian sitting at a desk typing on a computer. If the player bumps into the pedestrian, they may become hostile and try to kill the player.
- Due to the fact that weapons cannot be wielded in safehouses, players will be unable to fight back.
- During the Festive Surprise, Christmas trees were added to all houses and apartments for a limited time. They also had wrapped presents under them (which cannot be opened).
- As later discovered in the PC release, a new 10-car garage was supposed to be added in the High Life update, probably alongside with the new apartments. It was, however, scrapped before the release of the update.
- In an interview with IGN, shortly after the release of the Freemode Events Update, Rockstar stated that they are working on apartment customization.
- This feature was added in GTA Online: Executives and Other Criminals.