Safehouses (also known as properties) are buildings featured in Grand Theft Auto Online for the player to purchase and inhabit. They can be used as a place to sleep, shower, watch TV, hang out with friends and more.
DescriptionSimilar to GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas, safehouses can be purchased by the player after achieving Rank 5. They are mostly found in the eastern area of Los Santos and can be bought either on location by interacting with their for sale sign or by using the in-game Dynasty 8 website, where all available houses are listed.
Originally, players could only own one property, but the High Life update increased the limit to two. The Festive Surprise allowed the player to have three (the cap for previous-gen players). The Lowriders update was the first increase in next-gen, allowing the player to purchase four properties. The Executives and Other Criminals update allowed players to purchase a fifth property. A continuation of the Bikers update added a sixth purchasable property. The player owning an office with accomodation does not affect the safehouses, meaning the player can have six apartments, as well as an office. Clubhouses also do not affect the safehouses.
There are three different house tiers, distinguishable by their interiors and the capacity of their garages: Low-end apartments have space for two vehicles, and an interior similar to that of the interior in Franklin's first safehouse.
Medium apartments have space for six vehicles, and an interior similar to that of Floyd's apartment.
There are several variants of high-end apartments. Each garage is identical, and has room for 10 vehicles. The original design is similar to the interior of 3671 Whispymound Drive. These apartments were present at the beginning of GTA Online.
The second design is similar to 3671 Whispymound Drive, with assets from Floyd's apartment. These apartments were added as part of The High Life Update.
The third and fourth designs are used in stilt homes, added as part of the Executives and Other Criminals DLC. These interiors are unique.
The fifth design is uniquely customizable, and can only be used in the three penthouse suites in Eclipse Towers. These were also added as part of the Executives and Other Criminals DLC.
The player can also add accomodation to offices, and it can also be found on the Galaxy Super Yacht.
Multiple activities can be performed while in safehouses, including:
- Watching television (including entrance and garage security cameras and viewing other players).
- Changing clothes in the closet.
- Taking showers in the bathroom (which can be used to wash the character's blood away from their bodies after a gunfight).
- Sleeping on the bed.
- Browsing the Internet on the computer.
- Calling in strippers after getting their number from the Vanilla Unicorn.
- Drinking any of the available drinks (wine (beer in lower end apartments), whiskey, and green juice (which restores health)).
- Smoking from bongs (may not be present in lower end apartemnts).
- Looking through the telescope (if the house has one).
- Inviting friends over to hang out.
|This article or section is Under Construction.|
There are 22 different interiors for safehouses that vary depending on the capacity of their garage.
|House tier||Image||Garage capacity||Description||Price range (Cheapest to most expensive)||Houses / Locations and prices|
||A small ghetto-style house, with cheap furniture and low lighting. Features a medium living room with an open kitchen and a small messy bedroom and bathroom. Doesn't feature any sort of window view. Uses some assets from the Clinton residence.||$80,000 to $121,000||
||Medium sized house, with slightly better furniture and lighting compared to the low-end safehouse. Features a medium bedroom and living room with an open kitchen and a small bathroom. Also doesn't feature any sort of window view. Uses some assets from Floyd's Apartment.||$128,000 to $175,000||
||Large open space apartment, with modern decorations and good lighting. Features a big living room with an open kitchen, a big bedroom and a medium bathroom. Also has a separate division for the closet and a small studio near the entrance. Includes a large panoramic window view that allows the player to see the surrounding world. Uses some assets from Franklin's house at 3671 Whispymound Drive.||$200,000 to $400,000||
||Added in the High Life update, a medium-large apartment, slightly less lighting and open space than the other top tier one, but still as luxurious in decoration. Features a slightly smaller living room and kitchen but a larger entrance hallway. Uses some assets from Franklin's house at 3671 Whispymound Drive, and Floyd's Apartment. The bathroom and the closet are the same as that of the first high-end interiors.||$468,000 to $500,000|
|High-End Custom: Modern||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $280,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Moody||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $235,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Vibrant||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $220,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Sharp||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $325.000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Monochrome||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $295,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Seductive||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $250,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Regal||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $260,000 for changing the interior||
|High-End Custom: Aqua||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$985,000 to $1,100,000 and $310,000 for changing the interior||
|Stilt House 1||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$449,000 to $727,000||
|Stilt House 2||
||Added in Executives and Other Criminals Update.||$672,000 to $800,000||
High-end (First style)
High-end (Second style, High Life Update)
- While inside a safehouse, players cannot draw their weapons, probably to prevent harm to the visitors and hosts.
- Before patch 1.07, players weren't able to run inside of interiors.
- Players aren't able to shower if there is more than one player inside the bathroom at the time. When a player showers, the bathroom door is locked until the shower stops.
- If a player manages to be inside the bathroom at the same time as another player is showering, he will find that the other player is showering in underwear and flip flops.
- Occasionally, random pedestrians may spawn inside the player's safehouse, interacting with props that aren't there. They exhibit strange behavior; they may begin walking against a wall or piece of furniture, as if they don't see that it is there. A common occurrence is a pedestrian sitting at a desk typing on a computer. If the player bumps into the pedestrian, they may become hostile and try to kill the player.
- Due to the fact that weapons cannot be wielded in safehouses, players will be unable to fight back.
- During the Festive Surprise, Christmas trees were added to all houses and apartments for a limited time. They also had wrapped presents under them (which cannot be opened).
- As later discovered in the PC release, a new 10-car garage was supposed to be added in the High Life update, probably alongside the new apartments. It was, however, scrapped before the release of the update.
- In an interview with IGN, shortly after the release of the Freemode Events Update, Rockstar stated that they are working on apartment customization.
- This feature was later added in GTA Online: Executives and Other Criminals.