- "That scumbag McAffrey! He took more bribes than anyone! He thinks he's gonna get an honorable discharge if he turns state's evidence! He just squealed!"
- ― Ray Machowski
Ray is angry at Leon McAffrey (his former partner) for ratting on him about his ties with the Yakuza. He instructs Claude to head to Newport and torch McAffrey's safehouse to lure him outside and kill him. Claude is given some grenades to do the job. Claude heads to McAffrey's safehouse and lobs a grenade into an open window. The safehouse is torched and McAffrey attempts to escape in a Sentinel from the garage. Claude manages to kill McAffrey in time with LCPD officers attacking him with AK-47s.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Check out the witness protection house
- Take out McAffrey
- The player can park a car in front of the garage underneath the condo, which will make Leon's escape more difficult and give Claude more time to kill him. One of the proper vehicles for it is the Rumpo, as it is heavy van, and the player can take a Pump-Action Shotgun, or Grenade, blow the van and kill McAffrey inside his car.
- Alternatively, the player may use a Rocket Launcher and shoot into the open window in order to lure McAffrey out.
- In the iOS version of GTA III, the player is unable to aim grenades and due to this oversight, the mission becomes more challenging as Claude cannot simply aim and toss a grenade into the window. Instead, he must get a Rumpo, or any large truck and stand on top of it and hold the toss button and release it as quickly as possible. This is not even a good reliable solution either as sometimes the grenade may bounce back and destroy the car and lead to a fatal result, so instead players exploit a subway glitch that would get them to Shorside Vale, and retrieve the hidden rocket launcher which makes the mission extremely easy in the iOS version.