Events of GTA Liberty City Stories
In Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, set in 1998, they are assisted by the Leone Family in taking Wichita Gardens as their turf and driving out the Forelli Family. At this point in time, both gangs were allied and acted as a single gang.
Events of GTA III
By the time Grand Theft Auto III takes place in 2001, the Nines begin selling SPANK on local streets. The Redjacks, particularly their leader D-Ice, are against the drug and narcotic business and start a war with the Nines. After performing a drive-by on the Nines, using RC Bombs to destroy their armored vans, stopping D-Ice's Infernus from being destroyed and collecting some platinum from a crashed airplane Claude and D-Ice's Brother defeat them in a mêlée battle.
Curiously, the Red Jacks and Purple Nines do not attack each other on the streets, and will even assist each other if one is wounded or in battle, pertaining to all gang member characters being modeled after Southside Hoods. To cover up the error in the plot, D-Ice warns Claude that if he shoots at Nines, some Red Jacks would assume they were under fire and shoot at him as well.
No Purple Nines Glitch
- In Grand Theft Auto III, there is a glitch involving the Purple Nines, usually on the PS2. When the player starts the game for the first time, and gets all the way up to D-Ice's missions, and then does all of them, then the player will notice the Purple Nines will have vanished comepletely. If the player starts the game all over again with the same memory card inserted, the player will then realize the Purple Nines are still gone as the game "remembers" that you did the mission that caused the Purple Nines to stop spawning. Thus if the player starts again, and gets up to Uzi Money, then the Nines will not spawn and the player can continuously fail the mission, and this can prevent the player from getting 100%, same thing with the mission Rumble. So to fix this, try starting the game on a new memory card, or have backup saves, or try to do 100% and never re-start the game otherwise the glitch comes into effect. Another method is to start a new game without the memory card inserted, then re-insert the memory card and save your game.
- There is a fix for this glitch made by Demarest of GTA Forums for the PC version, which helps you pass Uzi Money by killing Red Jacks instead of Purple Nines. The fix can be found here.
- To check if you have this glitch in the beginning of the game, you can go to Shoreside Vale using these methods.
GTA Liberty City Stories
- In Manhunt, there is a gang called the Hoods too, although it does not bear any resemblance to the Southside Hoods.
- The Southside Hoods are the only gang in GTA III and GTA LCS that are not hositle to the player.