- "Manufacturer of carbonated water flavored with 800 calories worth of synthetic additives and high-fructose corn syrup."
- ― Description at Bawsaq.com.
Sprunk is a carbonated lemon lime beverage claimed in a Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas radio commercial to contain "10 times the caffeine and sugar", mixed with mercury, ether and benzene, and packaged in fragmentation grenade-shaped cans. The Sprunk logo and color scheme are a caricature of Sprite and "spunk", a slang term for semen. The company's slogan since GTA IV has been "The Essence of Life". A synonym for "Essence" is "Substance" so the slogan is most probably referring to the fact that semen is a main substance required for reproduction in mammals.
Sprunk establishments are found in both Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV. In San Andreas, players can find a branch office of Sprunk in East Beach, Los Santos, as well as a packaging plant in Montgomery, Red County. In GTA IV, opposite Honkers in Alderney, there is a large Sprunk billboard and an abandoned packaging plant can be found in Tudor, Alderney.
Sprunk vending machines are dotted throughout Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV, from which the player can buy a can of Sprunk for $1, drink its contents to replenish their health, and throw the empty can away (for GTA IV, the player can pick up and throw the can again). A plastic bottle of Sprunk can also be bought from newspaper stands all over the city in GTA IV. A Sprunk vending machine is also featured in cutscenes in Roman's taxi depot, though it is otherwise inaccessible.
Advertisements have also been featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Manhunt and Manhunt 2. The player can also download a Sprunk theme for their phone via Vipluxuryringtones.com in GTA IV, the Sprunk logo can be found on some Benson trucks in the same game. In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, several billboards for Sprunk can be seen, and, in the PSP and iOS ports of the game, it is also one of the three to choose skins for your PDA.
In GTA IV, Sprunk is also a sponsor of the Venturas Poker Challenge on Weazel and an extreme base jumping competition on CNT in The Ballad of Gay Tony, where 16 contestants go head-to-head and race to base jump off of certain buildings in Liberty City.
Sprunk returns yet again in GTA V, now playing a more notable role in the game. A few vehicles (see below) can be obtained in Sprunk liveries, most likely used to promote the drink. Sprunk soda machines also return in GTA V, working the same way as they do in GTA IV.
Vehicles that can spawn in Sprunk liveries include:
- Bati 801RR
- Mallard (Races, Property Management and Flight School)
- Buffalo S (next gen exclusive)
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
GTA Liberty City Stories & GTA Vice City Stories
GTA Chinatown Wars
- In the Bohan Warehouse in GTA IV, boxes and cans of Sprunk with the logo designs used in GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas can be found. This is also found on a refrigerator in TW@ Internet Cafes if you walk to the left of the door. The boxes will leak Sprunk soda if shot at.
- The Sprunk sign in East Island City in GTA IV is based on a real life sign for Pepsi Cola located in New York's Long Island City.
- In GTA San Andreas, when CJ buys a can of Sprunk from a vending machine, he drinks it upside down.
- Sprunk is also featured in the Rockstar series Manhunt.
- The name is a play on of "Spunk", a slang term for semen. This is reinforced by the Sprunk motto "The Essence of Life." The rising bubbles on the logo also resemble sperm.
- The allusion to sperm may itself be a reference to various (false) urban legends connecting Mountain Dew to sperm loss.
- In GTA San Andreas, a Sprunk billboard featuring a short-haired woman can be found on the southern edge of Jefferson, Los Santos (next to the east-west expressway into the commercial heart of Los Santos), with the slogan "A Taste of Things to Come". Following a car chase during "Reuniting the Families" that ends with the gang's car crashing through the billboard, the billboard's slogan, partially cut away by a clean hole created from the crash, now reads "A Taste of _______Come", referring to "cum" (an informal term for semen). The billboard piece can in fact be destroyed before "Reuniting The Families" using any weapon, however the billboard will revert to its pre-Reuniting the Families appearance when going far enough from it.
- Sprunk co-exists with ECola, an obvious parody Coca-Cola. In reality, Sprite is a brand owned by Coca-Cola. In GTA IV, cans of Sprunk can be obtained from ECola vending machines, implying Sprunk may be owned by ECola in the HD Universe.
- Sprunk Xtreme seems to be a parody of either Mountain Dew's MDX variant or the AMP Energy brand as both Mountain Dew and Sprunk are major sponsors of an action sports tour.
- In GTA IV, Sprunk vending machines instead produce cans of Orang-O-Tang, cans of Sprunk can be obtained, but only from ECola machines.
- In EFLC, during the commercial for Sprunk Extreme for the Base Jumping, there's a segment where a person is jumping with a Caddy to a Sprunk billboard in Star Junction. This might be a nod to the San Andreas' mission Reuniting the Families, where the Grove Street gang crash their car through a Sprunk billboard. However, in the EFLC commercial, the Caddy explodes when trying to crash the billboard.
- In GTA V, "stalking" Sprunk's page on the Lifeinvader's real life website grants the player a free vending machine order, provided the player connects Lifeinvader on the Social Club.