- "Manufacturer of carbonated water flavored with 800 calories worth of synthetic additives and high-fructose corn syrup."
- ― Description at Bawsaq.com.
Sprunk is a carbonated lemon lime beverage claimed in a Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas radio commercial to contain "10 times the caffeine and sugar", mixed with mercury, ether and benzene, and packaged in fragmentation grenade-shaped cans. The company's slogan since GTA IV has been "The Essence of Life".
Sprunk establishments are found in both Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV. In San Andreas, players can find a branch office of Sprunk in East Beach, Los Santos, as well as a packaging plant in Montgomery, Red County. In GTA IV, opposite Honkers in Alderney, there is a large Sprunk billboard and an abandoned packaging plant can be found in Tudor, Alderney.
Sprunk vending machines are dotted throughout Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV, from which the player can buy a can of Sprunk for $1, drink its contents to replenish their health, and throw the empty can away (for GTA IV, the player can pick up and throw the can again). A plastic bottle of Sprunk can also be bought from newspaper stands all over the city in GTA IV. Curiously, in GTA IV, Sprunk vending machines sells cans of Orang-O-Tang instead; Sprunk cans themselves can only be obtained from ECola machines. A Sprunk vending machine is also featured in cutscenes in Roman's taxi depot, though it is otherwise inaccessible.
Advertisements have also been featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Manhunt and Manhunt 2. Sprunk is one of the sponsors featured on some Hotring Racer cars in GTA Vice City. The player can download a Sprunk theme for their phone via Vipluxuryringtones.com in GTA IV, and the Sprunk logo can be found on some Benson trucks in the same game. In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, several billboards for Sprunk can be seen, and, in the PSP and iOS ports of the game, it is also one of the three to choose skins for the player's PDA.
In GTA IV, Sprunk is also a sponsor of the Venturas Poker Challenge on Weazel and an extreme base jumping competition on CNT in The Ballad of Gay Tony, where 16 contestants go head-to-head and race to base jump off of certain buildings in Liberty City.
Sprunk returns yet again in GTA V, now playing a more notable role in the game. The player can buy stocks from them on the Bawsaq.com in-game website; A few vehicles (see below) can be obtained in Sprunk liveries, most likely used to promote the drink; Sprunk soda machines also return in GTA V, working the same way as they do in GTA IV.
Vehicles that can spawn in Sprunk liveries include:
- Bati 801RR
- Mallard (Races, Property Management and Flight School)
- Sprunk Buffalo (Enhaced version exclusive)
- Faction Custom Donk (Enhaced version exclusive)
It is obviously based on Sprite. Sprunk co-exists with ECola, an obvious parody Coca-Cola. In reality, Sprite is a brand owned by Coca-Cola. In GTA IV, cans of Sprunk can be obtained from ECola vending machines, implying Sprunk may be owned by ECola in the HD Universe.
Sprunk Xtreme seems to be a parody of either Mountain Dew's MDX variant or the AMP Energy brand as both Mountain Dew and Sprunk are major sponsors of an action sports tour. The allusion to sperm may itself be a reference to various (false) urban legends connecting Mountain Dew to sperm loss.
The name is a play on of "Spunk", a slang term for semen. This is reinforced by the Sprunk motto "The Essence of Life". A synonym for "Essence" is "Substance" so the slogan is most probably referring to the fact that semen is a main substance required for reproduction in mammals.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Grand Theft Auto V
- It is the most basic product to appear in most of the games and appears to be the replacement for FunCola from Grand Theft Auto III.
- Sprunk is also featured in the Rockstar series Manhunt.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- When CJ buys a can of Sprunk from a vending machine, he drinks it upside down.
- A Sprunk billboard featuring a short-haired woman can be found on the southern edge of Jefferson, Los Santos (next to the east-west expressway into the commercial heart of Los Santos), with the slogan "A Taste of Things to Come". Following a car chase during "Reuniting the Families" that ends with the gang's car crashing through the billboard, the billboard's slogan, partially cut away by a clean hole created from the crash, now reads "A Taste of _______Come", referring to "cum" (an informal term for semen). The billboard piece can in fact be destroyed before "Reuniting The Families" using any weapon, however the billboard will revert to its pre-Reuniting the Families appearance when going far enough from it.
Grand Theft Auto IV
- In EFLC, during the commercial for Sprunk Extreme for the Base Jumping, there's a segment where a person is jumping with a Caddy to a Sprunk billboard in Star Junction. This might be a nod to the San Andreas' mission Reuniting the Families, where the Grove Street gang crash their car through a Sprunk billboard. However, in the EFLC commercial, the Caddy explodes when trying to crash the billboard.
- In Bohan Warehouse, boxes and cans of Sprunk with the logo designs used in GTA Vice City and GTA: San Andreas can be found. This is also found on a refrigerator in TW@ Internet Cafes, if the player walks to the left of the door. The boxes will leak Sprunk soda if shot at.