- "This fully automatic is the snare drum to your twin-engine V8 bass: no drive-by sounds quite right without it."
- — Ammu-Nation Description
The TEC-DC 9 (also known as TEC 9) is a light submachine gun appearing in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. It was added to Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online as part of the GTA Online: Lowriders Update for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC versions of the game, where it is known as the Machine Pistol and is manufactured by Vom Feuer.
|This article or section contains insufficient information and is considered as a Stub. You can help GTA Wiki by |
Requiring improvement: This weapon article requires more detailed descriptions of weapon performance in-game. See the Talk page for more details.
The TEC 9 is indeed based on the weapon of the same name. Along with the Micro SMG, it is one of the most common submachine guns, being widely used by Grove Street Families members in San Andreas, and various NPCs in the game as well. The TEC 9 has a slow fire rate. It holds 50 rounds per magazine in the 3D Universe, and is commonly used by gangs. When the Hitman skill level is reached in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the TEC 9 can be dual-wielded.
Grand Theft Auto V
|This article or section refers to content in the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC renditions of Grand Theft Auto V and/or Grand Theft Auto Online, that is not featured on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions.|
For a complete list of the features of the "enhanced" version of Grand Theft Auto V, please see here.
Available in both Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, the Machine Pistol retains some the original design of the TEC 9, however it features a longer barrel, which is closely proportional to the rest of the weapon. The default magazine clip is also much shorter and holds 12 rounds instead of the 50 rounds from previous games.
For a submachine gun, the Machine Pistol offers particularly good performance. It has the second highest damage per shot value of SMGs, only outclassed by the Combat PDW, and a rather high fire rate (on par with the standard SMG). The result is a high damage-per-second value of 229, making it a valuable weapon to use in close-quarters combat, rivaling with other assault rifles in terms of damage per second.
The Machine Pistol's biggest downside is its mere 12-round magazine which will force the user to reload very often, as the weapon's high fire rate will empty magazines very quickly. Although the reload time isn't very long, it still leaves the player vulnerable during the animation. Thus, magazine modifications are almost essential when using the weapon.
For a submachine gun, the Machine Pistol offers good accuracy as the viewkick isn't very noticeable, making the weapon helpful for longer-range engagements. However, the lack of optical attachments as well as the muzzle flash and iron sights may discourage one to use this weapon on longer ranges.
The only attachments the weapon can equip is the Extended Clip and the Drum Magazine. The extended clip attachment increases the mag capacity to 20-round, which will not resolve the reload issue but will make it less problematic. Drum magazines have a 30-round magazine capacity, making them very helpful.
In conclusion, the Machine Pistol is a strong SMG to use, combining high damage per shot and fire rate, with the magazine capacity and lack of attachments as downsides.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Vice Point - Behind a house near the end of the cul-de-sac across the bridge west of the Well Stacked Pizza Co.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Ganton, Los Santos - On the roof of Sweet's house on Grove Street. Use a helicopter or jump from house to house to reach it.
- Ganton, Los Santos - Inside the Johnson House after spraying all 100 Gang Tags.
- Los Santos - Some Grove Street Families carries TEC-9 but after spraying 100 Gang Tags GSF members carry Knives, MP5s and Desert Eagles.
- Los Santos International Airport, Los Santos - Underneath a flyover, next to a parking lot (a reference to the terrorist attack scare at the time).
- Mulholland, Los Santos - Behind a European like house next to the curvy street.
- Las Colinas, Los Santos - Beside a wired fence.
- Blueberry, Red County - Beside the northernmost infrastructure in Blueberry.
- Battery Point, San Fierro - Under the Gant Bridge, just behind Jizzy's Pleasure Domes next to the right column.
- Calton Heights, San Fierro - Behind a house and beside a tree, near the church.
- The Mako Span, Las Venturas side - Underneath the bridge, near the edge.
- Used by most Los Santos Vagos in the mission Los Desperados.
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto V
- Available to purchase from Ammu-Nation.
Grand Theft Auto Online
- Available to purchase from Ammu-Nation for $8,960.
In-game (First-person view)
- In reality, the TEC 9 is a semi-automatic weapon, although it can be illegally converted quite easily to fire in full-auto. For this reason, it is popular amongst criminals, befitting its inclusion in the Grand Theft Auto games.
- Firing while in a vehicle increases the weapons fire rate tremendously compared to the normal fire rate while on foot.
- The TEC 9 has no recoil animation.
- If players were to turn the "Pedestrians have guns" cheat in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the TEC 9 will be one of their main weapons along with the pistol.
- In GTA San Andreas, the TEC 9 shares the same weapon skill with the Micro SMG and both level up through the use of either weapon.
- The TEC 9 is used by all Los Santos-based gangs in missions only, while it is only used by members of the Grove Street Families until it is replaced by the SMG when all gang tags are sprayed over.
Grand Theft Auto V
- The Machine Pistol uses the same reload animation for all magazine mods. Thus, when reloading with a drum magazine, the player character's hand will clip through it.