- "Change of plans, Carl! We're taking the tanker!"
As the liquor store is confronted, Catalina points a shotgun at the two men in the store (through a window) and demands that they hand over the takings. The employee responds that the store has bullet-proof glass. Catalina decides that she and Carl can just steal a nearby tanker and its trailer. They get in the tanker, and Catalina directs Carl to a person who would buy it. However, both the store employee and the cashier, Derek, give chase. Nevertheless, Catalina and Carl safely get to the RS Haul in Flint County. The person, Mr. Whittaker, receives the tanker, and pays Carl and Catalina. Catalina leaves on a Sanchez.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get into the cab
- Attach the cab to the tanker
- Get back in the cab
- Drive the rig out to Catalina's buyer. Be careful not to disconnect the trailer
The reward for this mission is $5,000. The next storyline mission that would be unlocked depends on which mission the player completed before this mission. Also, Trucking missions can now be accessed at the RS Haul in Flint County.
Tips and Tricks
- Be careful around sharp turns, as turning too suddenly can easily result in the trailer swinging around and disconnecting.
- To easily get rid of the Sabre, get out of the tanker after the cutscene ends and get between the wall and the tanker, then crouch because the car always tries to ram the tanker, so when it does so, shoot it until it catches fire. Make sure it doesn't explode near the tanker or near Catalina, as this will fail the mission.
- Sometimes, when failing the mission, Derek and the employee will get out of the car and walk away as normal pedestrians. They will not disappear until the player leaves the area and they are immune to being killed (confirmed on PS2).
- If Derek and the employee chase the player all the way to the RS Haul, a short cutscene shows them losing control of their Sabre and bailing out just before it crashes into the filling stations at the nearby gas station, destroying it and a nearby Sadler.
- The Tanker is bulletproof before it is attached to the cab.
- If the player kills the gas station employee, Derek will flee the scene and become a random pedestrian, although he will despawn after a few seconds.
- If Derek and the employee are killed before reaching the RS Haul, an indestructible Sadler can be obtained, as it would usually be destroyed during the cutscene where the pursuing Sabre crashes into the gas station.
- On rare occasions, a car or truck can crash into the filling stations as the player approaches it and activates the cutscene, causing the station to explode during the cutscene, thus killing Catalina, failing the mission and giving the player a two-star wanted level. It is unknown what causes this situation to happen.
- In the beta, the Trucking missions would not be unlocked after this mission, instead being unlocked after completing the mission Highjack.
- Near the beginning, when CJ and Catalina run to the truck to steal it, run towards Catalina and she'll stay where she is, and start shooting CJ. This will automatically fix itself if Carl gets in the Tanker, as usual, and attaches the trailer.
- If the player manages to enter the gas station interior and kill both employees, entering the Tanker will cause the game to crash or become a black screen.
- This is one of the several missions in the game that will not work correctly if too many cheats are activated.
- The bulletproof glass at the gas station is manufactured by Max Pane, an obvious reference to the Max Payne series made by Rockstar.
- Rarely, If the player destroys the Sabre before reaching RS Haul and the two bail out, there's a chance that the employee might keep shooting at Carl and not take damage by the player (tested on the PC version).
- The Sabre used in the mission is invulnerable to damage before the player enters the Tanker. It can be obtained by killing Catalina and stealing the Sabre by hooking it up with a Tractor or Tow Truck and driving it to a garage. Note that the Sabre cannot be stolen before being stored into a garage, as its doors are locked. It is also very heavy, making it unable to be moved by the player or a vehicle.