- "Tear gas grenade, particularly effective at incapacitating multiple assailants. Sustained exposure can be lethal."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
The Tear Gas is a thrown weapon that is first seen in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and also appears in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online. In the last two games, it's manufactured by Hawk & Little.
In real life, tear gas is generally considered to be a non-lethal weapon, but in the world of Grand Theft Auto, it's anything but. Granted, it does take prolonged exposure to the gas to kill, but in confined spaces, this can be arranged. However, seeing as the gas causes people to stop what they are doing while they cover their face and cough, the most practical use for this weapon is to slow enemies down while the player is trying to escape or switch to another weapon and shoot them easily.
- "Semi-legal, highly dangerous way of causing crowd unrest."
- ―GTA Vice City Website.
In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, by deploying the Tear Gas too close to a person, one will lose health from the noxious gas, and the longer one stays there, the greater they lose health, thus dying.
In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Tear Gas can be used to attack pedestrians, while the player is unaffected and can freely walk around the gas, until the smoke subsides. Throwing a single can will last approximately 30 seconds, and by dropping more cans, the smoke will last longer and any pedestrians or cops who enter the smoke will be choke on the toxic gas until they die. However, using Tear Gas in a very populated area such as Ocean Beach or The Strip will give the player a high wanted level rather quickly and if Tear Gas cans are used in succession, it may possibly award the player a six star wanted level.
Tear Gas also makes a return in Grand Theft Auto V, retainimg most properties, such damaging its user, but the area of effect of the weapon has been decreased. NOOSE officers that pursue the player in a wanted level of 4 or 5 will use these if the player is in an interior, throwing Tear Gas at the player in an attempt to make him/her move or kill him/her. If any NPC is caught in the gas, they will fall to the ground and will asphyxiate until dying, rendering them unable to react. Enemies will also try to avoid the gas once it is released. Players caught in the area of effect will still be able to move, but will take damage until getting killed or when the gas disperses.
If the player has chosen the smart approach for The Jewel Store Job, a setup mission features unique gas grenades that must be stolen and used later. These grenades, labelled "BZ", are unique to this mission and cannot be used anywhere else, due to it disappearing from Franklin's inventory after completing the mission.
GTA Vice City
- Washington Beach - Behind the Washington Beach Police Station (original PS2 version only - grenade in other versions).
GTA San Andreas
- Mulholland Intersection, Los Santos - On the steps of the building west of the car park and north of the ZIP store in Downtown Los Santos.
- Ocean Docks, Los Santos - Beside some crates and boxes in a warehouse being passed by a railway.
- Easter Basin, San Fierro - Inside the carrier at Easter Basin Naval Station.
- K.A.C.C. Military Fuels, Las Venturas - On the tarmac.
- Las Venturas Airport, Las Venturas - Beside some Shamal's and the yellow and white "ramps", to the left of the traffic control tower.
GTA V & GTA Online
Note: The Tear Gas is not meant to be obtained in GTA Vice City (PC, Xbox, and 10th Anniversary versions), GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories. However, the weapon is fully functional and can be obtained only by using trainers or modifications. This weapon in Liberty City Stories or Vice City Stories will cause an extreme framerate drop if the player looks directly at the smoke caused by weapon.
There is a glitch in GTA San Andreas involving the Tear Gas. After the Tear Gas is thrown into a crowd, the player can perform a stealth kill on any nearby people. Everyone affected by the gas will undergo the same animation and die at the same time. However there's a rare glitch that if the player performs this within the smoke, they will also die as if someone did the stealth kill on them.
- When a pedestrian is killed with Tear Gas, blood comes out as if they were killed with a gun or melee weapon. (3D Universe)
- In GTA San Andreas, casino security guards and enemy gang members during a gang war are immune to tear gas.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, the Tear Gas appears in Ammu-Nation stores, but it is unobtainable.
- In Grand Theft Auto V, cops and NOOSE agents will rarely try to walk through the Tear Gas if it is blocking their path to get to the player. Sometimes they will stand far from it.