Niko and Roman meet Darko in the airport runway tied up by U.L. Paper. U.L. Paper drives off and leaves Niko to kill Darko Brevic or let him run away. After you make your decision, Niko drives Roman to Brucie's house and calls Bernie Crane to inform him of the situation.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Pick up Roman
- Head to the rendezvous
- Choose to kill Darko or let him live
- Take Roman to Brucie's place
The U.L. Paper contact gives Niko a call to tell him that Darko Brevic (a military survivor that betrayed Niko many years ago) has been brought to Liberty City.
Niko automatically calls Roman. Roman says that he wants to be with Niko during the best day of his life. Roman is on Firefly Island. Pick up Roman. Head to the rendezvous. Walk into the marker, and U.L. Paper's security then drops off Darko tied up.
At this point, the player can kill him, execute him, or let him run away. If the player wants to kill him, use any weapon and shoot Brevic. To execute him, take out a pistol and aim it at his head. Then press the fire button to see Niko unload twelve bullets into Darko - one for each of the men he betrayed. Niko however doesn't feel any better after this.
However, Roman recommends they leave and let him suffer, as Darko knows what he did and doesn't seem to enjoy his life. In order to do so, walk away from Darko and he will run away. Niko later tells Roman that he spared Darko after realizing that nothing would change if he had killed him, nor would it have given Niko closure.
After Darko has his fate, get into the car you came to the airport with and drive Roman to Brucie's house. On the way, Niko turns off the radio because of the "annoying ads and DJs". If the player spared Brevic, Niko will explain that he feels pretty good about sparing a life, but otherwise, Niko will tell Roman that he feels empty for killing Darko Brevic.
After the mission, Pegorino will call Niko and tell him that "the shit has gone down" and to meet at the strip club in Tudor, Alderney. For more information, visit the next mission, One Last Thing....
- This is one of the few missions where Niko possibly cries or holds in his tears. This is heard when he finds out that Darko killed his friends for $1,000. While evidently choked up, he replies - "You killed my friends for one thousand dollars?!"
- After dealing with Darko, Niko turns off the radio in whatever vehicle the player is driving. This is one of three times in the GTA Universe that a protagonist will change the radio station on their own. In GTA V, Michael De Santa changes the radio in the mission Daddy's Little Girl , while hanging out with his son. Trevor Philips would also do so by changing it to a different station due to the anger after what had happened.
- If the player spares Darko, by following Darko as he takes off, he will run along the tarmac into the sea and then back onto the land.
- Furthermore, if Darko is spared, and the player tails Darko, even if Darko dies an accidental death (e.g. being ran over by cars in the airport), the game will treat it as if Niko had killed Darko. Also the dialogue between Niko and Roman will change immediately.
- If you choose to execute Darko, he thanks Niko after he is shot a few times.
- If the player hits Darko, Roman will beat him up and even kill him. The game then acts as if Niko killed Darko.
- If you execute Darko with a Desert Eagle, which only holds 9 bullets, Niko will still fire 12 shots without reloading.
- The call to Bernie Crane after the mission can change, naturally, depending on the choice made. Notable, however, is that Niko's words seem to indicate that he is bidding farewell to Bernie altogether if the player chooses to kill Darko, in contrast to his plans to "see him soon" if the player walks away.
- This mission's title is a reference to dialogue from the mission "Portrait of a Killer", during which the U.L. Paper contact asks Niko if he is looking for somebody and Niko sardonically replies, "We're all looking for that special someone."
- After you choose Darko's fate and get back in a vehicle Niko will automatically turn off the radio and say he doesn't want to listen to ads and DJ's. Despite this, the radio can be turned on after he does this.
- After this mission (if "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" has also been completed), Niko cannot hang out with any of his friends until the final mission is completed.
- If you kill Roman after the airport cutscene, Niko will call Bernie shortly after (like how he does after the mission), but the call is cancelled without anything being said.