After the mission Shakedown, the player can purchase the factory and save the game there. Cherry popper is a take on a girl's first sexual experience (losing virginity). The top of the building has two large mounds of ice cream resembling a pair of woman's breasts.
In 1986, Tommy Vercetti buys the factory and the Cherry Popper Ice Cream Company from former owner Maude Hanson. Tommy initially bought the factory believing it to be an actual Ice Cream Factory, but upon finding out that the ice cream is a front and that the factory actually distributes drugs, Tommy starts using the company trucks to sell his coke shipments in the streets. After selling 50 units in a row, $3,000 can be picked up outside the factory.
The Cherry Popper factory existed as early as 1984, although it was not owned by the company at that time. Oddly, the factory is painted the same blue color, implying the company did not change the color scheme after buying the factory.
In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the company is also present. "Family size" tubs of Cherry Popper ice cream can be found in convenience stores all across San Andreas. The player can also see ice cream vendors selling ice cream on stands around the state, where some ice cream can be bought for $1 to replenish health.
The Cherry Popper advertisements and freezers can be spotted on Grand Theft Auto V too.
GTA San Andreas
In GTA San Andre's, The Cherry Popper "family size" ice cream tubs can be seen inside freezers at 24/7 and other convenience stores. Only two flavors can be identified:
- Chocolate Chunks
Unknown flavor ice cream, it's only known it contains chunks of chocolate.
- Raspberry Ripple
Might have raspberry flavor or contain chunks of the fruit (or both).
Other flavors exist in ice cream vendor stands, and they can be seen on a small menu hanging on the stands' umbrellas ("Ices n' Prices"). However, the words are in very low resolution and are virtually unreadable.
Cream ice pop with a green frosting with chunks, resembling vomit.
- Chilldo X-TREME
Cream ice pop with a red frosting, has a phallic shape; as Chilldo is a joke with dildo.
- Chocolate Chufty
Cream ice pop with a chocolate frosting. Chufty comes from chuft, a slang for "excited".
- Creamy Chufty
Cream ice pop with a cream flavor frosting.
- Chocolate Starfish
Cream and chocolate ice pop, has the shape of a star(fish) as the name suggests, with a smile and eyes made of chocolate.
- Freeze Sucka!
Unknown flavor ice pop with the shape of a gun. Its shape and name is a joke with what some robbers shout when announcing a stickup.
Cream ice pop with a Orang-O-Tang flavor frosting.
Cream ice pop with an Üder Milkén milk flavor frosting.
There are numerous other products with other flavors; those can be seen in menus, and are mostly results of partnerships with other candy companies
Cherry Poppers Save Glitch
In the first PS2 version, the save point inside the garage of the Cherry Poppers Ice Cream Company is known to corrupt the player's save file if he saves there. It is unknown what factor in the game causes this glitch. The glitch does not seem to happen all the time, but for safety purposes, players should save the game elsewhere instead. Thankfully, this was fixed in later copies of the game.
- The song that can be heard playing in the background during the Cherry Popper Factory purchase cutscene is "Africa" by Toto. The song is also featured on the in-game radio station Emotion 98.3.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, there is a small office hidden in the back. It can only be accessed using a trainer since the door to the office is always shut and the windows aren't transparent. The office is dark and barely textured and has a few desks and a clipboard.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, if you angle the camera right you can make the ice cream from on the roof of Vice City appear.
- In GTA IV, the Cherry Popper's motto is revealed to be "You'll always remember your first". This is another reference to losing virginity, like the company's name. In fact, all the company's themes and mottos are one sexual reference after another. For example, the "Always On Top" motto is a clear reference to the "cowgirl position" where the girl is "always on top". The "Mr. Whoopee" van is another sexual reference.
- The Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory must be bought by the player in order to complete all four of the Sunshine Autos' car import list as Mr. Whoopee will never spawn unless the factory is bought.