|Not to be confused with Night Vision Goggles, headwear equipment with a similar configuration.|
Thermal-vision goggles are equipment used in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online. The thermal-vision goggles closely resemble the night vision goggles also used in the game, sharing the exact same model and HUD icon.
In Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the goggles allow the player to see the heat signatures given off by people and cars. When used, the game world will appear in a variety of blue, purple, pink, and red hues, blue representing cold areas and red representing hot areas.
After equipping the goggles, it is possible to switch to another weapon and even drive vehicles while retaining the thermal vision goggles' effects. Like the night-vision goggles, the goggles uses the same goggles design and is best suited for use at night. However, moving around while "wearing" the goggles can be confusing and potentially hazardous due to cooler landscape areas and buildings "blending" together. They are first used in the mission "Black Project".
In Grand Theft Auto V, thermal vision is unobtainable during normal gameplay. It does however appear as a thermal scope attachment on a Heavy Sniper that Michael uses in the missions Predator and Derailed.
In Grand Theft Auto Online, It can only be used in the Beast vs. Slasher Adversary missions. It operates much more like it did in San Andreas, being a piece of equipment instead of a weapon attachment. It has the advantage of being able to turn on or off accordingly without the delay of being equipped or unequipped. It has the disadvantage however of limiting the player's vision, being able to detect heat from other sources only several meters away.
- Mulholland, Los Santos - Inside Madd Dogg's Crib, in a room near the studio, beside some speakers.
- Garcia, San Fierro - Inside Zero RC.
- The Big Ear, Bone County - Around the base of the satellite dish, usually beside a Sandking.
- Area 69, Bone County - Inside a control room (Instant 5-star wanted level).
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- The goggles can be only obtained once, since they don't respawn.
Grand Theft Auto Online
- There is a visual glitch where flares are completely invisible when Thermal Vision is turned on.