- "You set us up - You always wanted to be the one - the man - You're a gimp, Johnny. A gimp and a fucking Judas."
- ― Brian Jeremy
It is the turning point mission for The Lost and Damned, and is the reason some events in Grand Theft Auto IV and The Ballad of Gay Tony happened. Also, the truth behind the events in this mission is explained in the TBoGT mission Chinese Takeout.
Before the mission, Jim Fitzgerald found out that the Heroin they stole from the Angels of Death actually belonged to the Chinese Triads, and they aren't too happy about it. Jim tells Billy who secretly strikes a deal with the Triads, as seen in the TBoGT mission Chinese Takeout.
In the mission's intro cutscene Billy seems to want to keep it for distribution and profit, so Johnny mentions that because of the war they have gotten into with the Angels, the possibility of government agencies looking into them, plus the fact that they can't stop fighting amongst themselves, that getting into a fight with the Triads is the last thing they need right now. Jim and Johnny suggest they strike up a deal with the Triads. Billy and Brian, who is involved in Billy's secret plan, play being defeated by the argument, and finally agree.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the meet with Billy
- Take out the Triads
- Go to the front of the building
- Go to your bike
- You are now Chapter President. Lead the group back to your turf
After starting this mission, like usual, there's a cutscene. Turns out The Angels of Death were in a small business relationship with Algonquin Triads and the heroin The Lost Brotherhood stole earlier ultimately belonged to the latter. Through the cutscene, Billy and Brian play being convinced that getting rid of the heroin as quick as possible is the best route, as the AOD, Chinese and law enforcement are highly involved, but it is also seen that Billy and Brian seem to have some sort of secret plan as they make faces and secretly look at each other.
During the slow ride to the meeting place, keep on The Lost badge to trigger conversations between Lost members regarding current happenings. After a while, Billy announces yet another race to the destination (in southern Algonquin, Chinatown). Win or lose, reach the yellow marker.
In the following scene, Billy and Brian say they'll be hanging behind to "watch their backs", while Johnny and Jim head into the trade off by themselves. The plan is to make the Chinese pay The Lost MC a lesser rate for their own heroin in order to buy it back from them, then they can flip it for more money after.
However, the Triads see no point in paying for something they made and worked hard to smuggle into the country, and thus a large gunfight ensues with Johnny and Jim trapped inside the building and Billy and Brian on the outside.
Johnny and Jim have to escape the unfinished building, while the Triads attempt to stop Johnny. Defeat all of the Triads who blocked the way, and follow behind Jim. The game directs the player outside and marks the construction panels as the way down, so watch the step. Use the Automatic 9mm or the Sawn-off Shotgun to get rid of all the close range enemies.
During the shootout, the police are alerted by the gunfire and set off towards the Dragon Heart Plaza.
Now it is time to descend the building, keeping Jim alive. Once after working the way around the building, a series of short ladders will show up for Johnny to climb down, along with more hostile Triads. Take them out, and head down to a balcony right above the ground.
From this vantage point, Johnny and Jim see that Billy has crashed his bike, he's injured and three armed police officers close in on him, forcing Billy to surrender. In a shouting fit before being apprehended, Billy yells that Johnny has set him up, blaming his right-hand man for the arrest. After the takedown, Johnny calls Brian's cell phone to inform him about Billy, and tells him to meet him around back where the bikes are. When Johnny and Jim hook up with Brian, the three ride back to the clubhouse as an infuriated Brian expresses his hatred for this. Now that Billy's been arrested, the player must lead the pack instead of following behind. Once back at the clubhouse, Brian makes sure to let Johnny and the others know he firmly believes Johnny has sold Billy out to the cops to gain president status. With that, the mission concludes, and Johnny permanently cuts all ties with Billy.
Behind the mission
- It is unclear what Billy and Brian were doing while Jim and Johnny were being attacked by the Triads. They may have tried to flee Chinatown, since Billy wanted Johnny dead (as revealed in TBoGT) and Billy crashed his bike, although Brian was with him and he might have heard the police sirens and fled without Billy.
- The Triads' failure to kill Johnny and Jim in this mission may partially be caused by Luis wiping out a portion of their organization beforehand, during the mission Chinese Takeout.
- In TBoGT mission Chinese Takeout it is revealed that Billy had arranged for Johnny to be ambushed and killed at the Dragon Heart Plaza as he is discussing the situation with the Triad Boss.
- If Johnny leaves the building when he is supposed to go to the front for the next cutscene, he will fail the mission because he abandoned Jim.
- If Jim falls off the roof, the mission will fail.
- If Johnny abandons Jim with the Triads by jumping off the wall from Johnny's left, the game will say that Jim has died, even if Johnny did kill the first few Triads at the start.
- If Johnny jumps from the wall to Johnny's left, the place is the same as when going down to the exit with Jim shooting down the Triads as going down, showing the final cutscene of the mission, if Johnny goes down the wall leaving Jim with the Triad members, there will be no Triad members down there as the game says Jim has been killed by the Triads.
Liberty Tree Newspaper
"The Police Commissioner has stated that, besides terrorists and peaceful political protest we don't approve of, the next biggest threat to civic order within Liberty City is motorcycle gangs. A recent barroom shootout resulted in several young Asian men dead at the hands of leather-clad, bike-riding harbingers of death."
"We could not reach a member of The Lost Motorcycle Club for comment but a spokesperson for the Angels of Death denied any member involvement in this altercation. He claimed that they are, "just a bunch of guys who like to get together, get drunk and then ride choppers. We keep our noses clean." If lines of methamphetamine have a sanitizing effect, then this guy might be right."
After the Mission
- After this mission, there will be temporarily no one playing Hi-Lo and Arm Wrestling in The Lost Clubhouse, until another mission or side-missions completed.
- Completing this mission unlocks the "Lost Boy" Achievement as Johnny becomes The Lost President.
- After this mission, news reports on the internet and radio stations detail Tom Goldberg's death in the GTA IV mission Final Interview.
- Interestingly an online news report also appears in GTA IV after completion of Final Interview which details this mission, referring to it as a "barroom shootout" which means that this mission had already been planned out when the online news stories for GTA IV were created almost a year before the release of The Lost and Damned.
- This mission is the only time when Brian will answer a phone call from Johnny. This is also the only time when Terry appears without Clay.
- This mission is also the final time the Lost MC logo will appear on the ground and function during the bike ride to the Dragon Heart Plaza. After Billy's arrest, it will no longer function for the remainder of the game, including the bike ride back to the Lost MC Clubhouse.
- In the ending cutscene of this mission when Johnny, Jim, and Brian return from the Dragon Heart Plaza, a fourth random biker is shown running up with them. Seeing as he was never with them in the first place, it is most likely a continuity error, and he was cut from the mission itself.
- The music that plays upon mission completion is different from the usual one, and is a sad tune, possibly due to Billy's arrest. This also happens in Was It Worth It? and Get Lost. This tune can also be heard in opening credits of the game.
- While playing this mission on the Xbox 360, it's renamed "This Stuff's Cursed" on player's profiles. This is probably to censor the profane language.
- After this mission, Billy's contact number will be removed from Johnny's phone.