|This mission crossovers with I luv LC.|
Note: This mission can only be started from between 6:00 and 19:00
Niko meets Patrick, Michael and Derrick at Maureen McReary's house in Dukes. After a brief introduction, the group drive to the Bank of Liberty on Columbus Ave in The Exchange, Algonquin. Armed with guns and wearing balaclavas, Michael keeps an eye on the civilians in the foyer whils the rest of the group head to the vaults. After making their way into the vaults, the group steal $1 million from the vault. However, Michael is killed by Eugene Reaper, who is subsequently killed by Patrick. The remaining members return to the street and find themselves surrounded by NOOSE and LCPD members. After fighting their way to a subway station, the group escape via the subway tracks, eventually returning above ground and stealing a Huntley Sport to make their getaway. After evading the police, Niko drives the remaining group members back to Maureen McReary's house. Patrick mourns the loss of Michael but congratulates the rest of the group for pulling off the heist, and gives Niko his $250,000 share.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to the bank.
- Go down to the vault and get the money.
- Cover Packie and Derrick.
- Follow Packie and Derrick.
- Get to street level.
- Find a four door car and go to Packie's Ma's house.
Weazel News (Radio)
"The daring heist took place at a Bank of Liberty branch in Downtown Algonquin earlier. One of the robbers was killed in the raid. He was identified as Michael Keane, a felon from Dukes. A bank customer, computer engineer Eugene Reaper attempeted to stop the robbery and was murdered. Authorities are on the lookout for three suspects.
Liberty Tree Newspaper
"A daring raid on a downtown branch of the Bank of Liberty has left one robber dead along with multiple police and civilian casualties. The suspect has been identified as Michael Keane, a convicted felon from Dukes. Four men wearing suits and balaclavas entered the branch and held the customers hostage while blowing the door to the vault with explosives. In the confusion, brave customer Eugene Reaper attempted to stop the robbery and was murdered in cold blood. Three robbers left the bank on foot and fought their way through police before escaping on the subway. Authorities are questioning all known associates of Mr. Keane in an attempt to discover the identities of his accomplices. The Bank of Liberty estimates that in excess of half a million dollars was stolen."
After the Mission
- Gerald McReary will call Niko and ask to see him in Dukes.
- The terrorist threat separating both sides of the West River is lifted, opening up the Booth Tunnel and Hickey Bridge. Niko is able to travel to Alderney legally, with the entire map now open to the player.
- This will also unlock the Full Exploration achievement on the Xbox 360, or PC version or, if the PlayStation 3 version is being played, the player receives the Full Exploration trophy.
- Shortly after this mission Packie will call Niko and be added as a friend.
- The balaclava is now added to Niko's wardrobe.
- Michael Keane - Killed by Eugene Reaper in an attempt to intercept the robbery.
- Eugene Reaper - Killed by Packie and Derrick as a revenge for killing Michael Keane.
- Several LCPD and NOOSE officers - Killed by Niko, Packie, and Derrick for trying to stop them from escaping with the stolen money.
- Luis Fernando Lopez (optional) - Can be killed once the cutscene of the police arriving the bank concludes. This does not affect the storyline.
- Hostages (optional) - A couple of the hostages can be killed in this mission, though it is unlikely that this is canon, as killing more than three hostages will likely fail the mission.
- The mission's name is a reference to the three-leaved Shamrock clover commonly related to St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.
- If Niko touches the hostages, they will die.
- The general setup and execution of the heist is based on the heist featured in the 1995 film Heat. Eugene Reaper killing Michael is based on a scene from the 1991 film Point Break where one of the hostages kills a bank robber before being murdered himself.
- During the mission, Derrick will say things like "It's like being back in The Troubles" or "I haven't seen combat like this since Belfast".
- This mission reappears in both of GTA IV's episodes. The scene of the shootout on the street appears in the credits of The Lost and Damned, and the scene inside of the bank (ending with the vault exploding) was used as the opening cutscne of The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Although the mission can be done any day of the week in-game, I Luv LC establishes that the heist canonically took place on a Saturday afternoon.
- Even if Niko didn't kill any hostage except Eugene Reaper, Weazel News on the radio will say “multiple civilian casualties.” This is most likely an oversight.
- The police scanner will say that all bridges were blocked to prevent Niko, Packie and Derrick from escaping, but it is not true.
- This mission is referenced to in Grand Theft Auto V. For instance, if one hires Patrick as a gunman for The Paleto Score, he shares a detailed overview of the mission, from how Michael Keane was shot, the overwhelming police presence, and how they had to enter the subway tunnels to escape. After Patrick finishes describing the heist, Michael De Santa expresses his surprise at Patrick being one of the gunmen.