- "Take these boys over and whack the Triad Warlords! Hell, if you get a chance, pop some of their soldiers too!"
- ―Toni Cipriani letter to Claude about the Triads.
Triads and Tribulations is a mission in Grand Theft Auto III given to protagonist Claude by Leone Family Caporegime Toni Cipriani from his mother's restaurant in the Saint Mark's district of Portland Island, Liberty City.
Claude goes to the restaurant, looking for more work from Toni. Claude finds a letter left on the table telling the task of getting rid of three Triad warlords. However, there are already two Leone goons with him.
The first warlord is located in Chinatown, with Claude driving to the location and killing him and the Triads who are with him. The second warlord is standing near the pedestrian only walk part of Chinatown, seemingly alone. When the Triads spot Claude, they ambush him but Claude kills them and the second warlord. The third is located in the Fish Factory, so Claude steals a Triad Fish Van, drives into the compound and kills the third Triad warlord. Alternatively Claude can throw a grenade over the walls towards the Fish Factory.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Take out the three Triad warlords
- The third warlord in the factory can be killed in another way, which is accomplished by going up the hill behind the factory and killing him with a grenade/Motolov.
- Before Claude can reach the first warlord, a police scanner will report that a gang war and the Triads and the Mafia has started and members from both gangs will spawn randomly close to each other and fight.
- This mission is similar to The Tail Bagging the Dogs in the video game Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
- During the mission, you can see Mafia and Triads fighting everywhere the player goes, even where they have no turf (ex: Triads appearing in Saint Mark's)
- All the warlords are carrying Uzis rather than Pistols or Baseball Bats.