- "The cliffs...the sea air...I really am free! I could cry."
- ― Aiden O'Malley, shortly before his death
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get the truck
- Block off the Booth Tunnel
- Take out all the cops
- Steal the Stockade
- Lose your wanted level
- Ditch the truck in the quiet location
- Take Aiden to the cliffs
- Kill Aiden
Soon, Packie calls Niko on the details. Aiden is heavily guarded by a police escort. He left a Biff with a Rocket Launcher off Applewhite in Alderney City. He wants Niko to use the truck to block one end of the Booth Tunnel while Packie blocks the other end.
Niko calls Packie once he is in the truck. Packie wants this event to look like a prison break.
Niko then blocks the tunnel and stops the convoy and Packie comes from the rear and blocks that way, and one of the policemen gets out and asks Niko to move the truck. Niko and Packie launch a surprise attack on the convoy, killing all of the cops. After all the cops are dead, Niko and Packie steals the Police Stockade containing Aiden.
Aiden is very happy that he is free from police custody and asks who sent them to free him. Niko and Packie does not say who until they drive to the cliffs.
At the cliffs, Packie reveals that Derrick sent them to free Aiden so that Niko can kill him. Aiden is shocked and says that Derrick has always been the rat. Niko shoots the prisoner who then falls into the water as blood gushes on the ocean.
Liberty Tree Newspaper
"An audacious prison escape, like something you might see on a Weazel Network show, occurred ninety seven feet under the surface of the West River earlier. A convoy carrying convicted felon, Aiden O'Malley, was ambushed by two trucks. O'Malley was being taken from a police station in Algonquin back to the Alderney State Correctional Facility. Two men used the trucks to block the convoy from the front and the back in the middle of the Booth Tunnel while they freed O'Malley. O'Malley, 48, who is American born but spent much of his adult life in Ireland, was serving a twenty-year for his involvement in a string of robberies."
"O'Malley was returning from a deposition in which he gave evidence implicating his accomplices in the carrying-out of those robberies. Police were particularly interested in his testimony relating to Bucky Sligo, who recently died. Now authorities are concerned that all of his testimony may have been used somehow to facilitate his escape. Police warn that O'Malley and his cohorts are armed and considered very dangerous."
(some missions after Tunnel of Death)
"Police have confirmed reports that a body they recovered was identified as Aiden O'Malley - the convict and possible one-time terrorist who was sprung from a prison van recently in a violent attack. At the time, it was presumed that O'Malley had friends in criminally high places. Now it seems he was freed so he could be silenced, or punished for past crimes. Police have no leads on what might have been behind the need to silence or kill Mr. O'Malley, 48. O'Malley was born and raised in Dukes but spent much of his adult life in Ireland and Britain, where he was thought to have links with several paramilitary and terrorist groups. Some experts claim that, since the ending of the Troubles, several former activists have returned to Liberty City and are engaged in the settling of old scores, while also getting involved in new forms of crime including drug dealing."
- Aiden O'Malley
- If you do this mission during a sunset, Aiden will have different dialogue while on the cliffs.
- If O'Malley is killed by a Molotov, he will roll around screaming for a few seconds. When the game changes to the cutscene, he will stop burning, stand up again, and collapse dead on the ground.
- In this mission, along with Knowing Me, Knowing You the player can hear Niko's voice through the phone, when he is talking to Packie.
- When Packie calls and tells you the truck is on Applewhite Street. but it's really on Mahesh Ave.
- If the radio station in the truck is changed before Packie calls, it returns to default once the conversation cutscene finishes.
- Packie is seen listening to Liberty Rock Radio, on the phone when you can see him, which is his favorite station.
- While Niko is talking to Derrick in the initial cutscene, a Flying Rat can be seen in the background if you haven't killed it yet.
- The sirens on the Police Cruiser, Police Patrol and Noose Patriot in this mission will stay on when you exit them instead of the lights staying on and the sirens staying off. To do this get in a Police car or Noose Patriot and turn on the sirens, then exit. This may be just a bug or a glitch, they will lose this feature if saved in a parking spot.
- This is a similar mission to Off Route in The Lost and Damned.
- This missions bares a very close similarity to the introduction cutscene of the original GTA III, as both deal with police convoys being ambushed (while one takes place on the Callahan Bridge, and another at the Booth Tunnel) and prisoners released by force. Police convoys both consist of an armoured truck and a police cruiser. Additionally, the Kuruma and Presidente the players escape with are kind of similar.
- This mission is probably the only time the Police Stockade becomes available to the player as the ones in Three Leaf Clover were locked and inaccessible.
- There is a way for the player to keep the Stockade. Mark a way point to the Alderney Safehouse then start the mission. When all the officers in the tunnel are killed, drive the stockade to the safehouse and park it in the parking space. Then fail the mission. The easiest way to do this is to get killed by the police. The Police Stockade should now be saved in the parking space.